Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any idea why this went so haywire?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any idea why this went so haywire?

First loaf to proof the rig.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1155.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	149.6 KB
ID:	305826

All looked good so on went the other three. Same temp and same everything as far as I was concerned other
    than three instead of one. Wait 5-7 minutes to rotate and this is what I found.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1156.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	199.5 KB
ID:	305827

Not very appetizing and I'm clueless as to why.

Attached Files

I could guess but Breadhead would be the bezt one to answer

Comment

What temperature did you bake the loaves at (and how/where was it measured)? Did you add moisture by spritzing or by some other means?

Comment

Purple, grayish bread with a little black on the end, I guess it doesn't quite look so good. I have no clue, haven't gotten into bread yet.

Comment

The first baguette came out pretty good, especially without having it covered to trap the steam. You say you had the same baking temperature for the 3 baguette cook... hmmm...🤔 I'm stumped why there was such a big difference.😬 Were the 3 baguettes touching each other during the cook?

If you are going to make those baguettes that length (compared to the diameter of your pizza stone) I would put a Stainless Steel mixing bowl over them (Bake 2 at a time) and I would spray them with water after I score them and put them on the preheated pizza stone to bake. Leave the mixing bowl on for about 15 minutes then remove it to brown your crusts.

It appears you've elevated your pizza stone so your baguettes will be about the same height as the thermometer mounted in your dome. That thermometer will be accurate using it that way but make sure you have calibrated it first.

Comment

Perhaps... pure guess... how clean was your grill? Maybe the first loaf was clean baking, then some old grease caught fire and caused some weird dirty smoke.

That's is the only thing I can think of if everything else was the same.

Comment

500 degrees, dropped to 475 like the first run but maybe it took a slight longer to bounce back. I was satisfied with the first run so I didn't hover and it was still at 500 when I came back. The temps came from the thermometer in the dome and I checked the stone by sprinkling it with cornmeal to see if it browned not burned. Spritz of water right before they went in. The proofed 10-12 minutes longer than the first one but they were also slightly larger.

Thanks

Comment

What I see is soot/black smoke residue. Something didn't burn clean. But, couldn't say what.

Comment

The Kamado Joe was new yesterday and it has two steaks grilled on it that night. I have had off flavors in my bread from previous cooks so let it run at 600 until the coals were almost gone. I did use what little bit of charcoal was left but 95% was new.

Comment

How did the crumb turn out? Is there a pic or two that you could post? Might help with figuring out what happened ...

Comment

I pulled the loaves as soon as they were found looking all gray and dead so the evidence could be hidden before the guests arrived for lamb lollipops with store bought bread.

Comment

• MBMorgan
                        MBMorgan commented
                        Editing a comment

• Breadhead
                        Breadhead commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Sometimes hiding the evidence is the best option...😎

Now that everyone is gone so I can sit and consider the events and examine the evidence my gut feeling is there was something in that bag of charcoal that shouldn't have been. I think there is a very faint aroma of a petroleum product. My wife says rancid chicken, regardless there shouldn't be anything but a slight wood aroma. Might contact the lump charcoal people that i have been using for the past 10 years.

Comment

• Breadhead
                        Breadhead commented
                        Editing a comment
                        It was something weird like that. After hundreds of loaves of bread and pizza's I've baked in my BGE... I've never had that color on my bread, ever.😬

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here