Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket Flat Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket Flat Question

I am cooking lunch for the sales staff at one of the stores I manage this coming Tuesday. The lunch starts at 11:30am. To stay within my companies budget I got three flats, two are about 6 pounds and one is 7 pounds. I've never done just the flat before so I'm not sure the adjustments that I need to make. Here is my plan, please let me know if I'm overlooking something or just wrong about it all.

Sunday night I will trim and salt all three flats. This will give them at least 24 hours to dry brine.

Monday night I plan to start my RecTeq 590 pellet smoker at 10pm setting the temp at 225°. Then pull the meat out of the fridge to apply my rub. The meat should go on the smoker by 10:30pm. I plan to keep a close eye on internal temperature and wrap in pink butcher paper when it hits 160°. Then placing them back on the smoker. Hopefully that helps me get them done by 10am.

Does 10.5 to 11 hours of cooking time seem correct for the three flats? Or is that too long since each one is only 6-7 pounds?

I plan to keep them wrapped in the butcher paper and a towel, placing them in a cooler and slice them at the luncheon as needed. Or would it be better to slice them at home and put in an aluminum tray to serve out of?

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide!

How thick? A good thick flat can go 15 hours. They are the stall champions.

I like to put my meat in cold, then kick on the pellet pooper. Keep whole as long as possible. Have a little juice or mop sauce for serving.

Comment

They are about an inch to an inch and a half thick. Should I start them earlier?

Comment

I have no experience with a pellet pooper, but....I would not slice them till you get there, not ahead of time. It’ll be more impressive slicing them in front of the crowd. They’ll retain the heat better in one piece. I think its just better overall to slice when you’re ready to eat. Bring your best knife and cutting board.

Comment

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          Flats get dry really fast after slicing, too .... slice right before serving

I think you're good. In fact I think if you wrap early at 160 you'll finish on time or quite likely early. Remember to leave a good fat cap on, don't get too trim-happy, flats need that fat cap. If it's looking iffy don't be afraid to crank your temp up to 250, 275, 300.

Comment

I might suggest doing them in the 250 range so they get done in your time frame.

Comment

These are the three flats I'm doing tonight.
            Attached Files

Comment

I would wrap when the bark is fully formed, not just when it hits 160. And I wouldn't be afraid to wrap in foil instead of butcher paper. All that jus that ends up in the foil is nice to drizzle over the slices right before serving, especially when it's slices of flat.

Comment

Agreed, wrap when the bark is right, not just at temp.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                Rubs Promo

Spotlight

These are not ads or paid placements. These are some of our favorite tools and toys.

These are products we have tested, won our top awards, and are highly recommend. Click here to read how we test, about our medals, and what they mean.

Use Our Links To Help Keep Us Alive

A big part of this site is our unbiased equipment and product reviews. We love playing with toys and we have no problem calling them the way we see them. Some companies pay a finder’s fee if a reader clicks a link on AmazingRibs.com and buys a product. It has zero impact on our reviews, zero impact on the price you pay, and the sites never tell us what you bought, but it has a major impact on our ability to keep this site alive! So before you buy, please click our links. Here’s a link that takes you to a page on Amazon that has some of our favorite tools and toys: https://tinyurl.com/amazingribs

Bring The Heat With Broil King Signet’s Dual Tube Burners

3 burner gas grill

The Broil King Signet 320 is a modestly priced, 3-burner gas grill that packs a lot of value and power under the hood. Broil King’s proprietary, dual-tube burners get hot fast and are able to achieve high, searing temps that rival most comparatively priced gas grills. The quality cast aluminum housing carries a Limited Lifetime Warranty.

Click here to read ourcompletereview

Our Favorite Backyard Smoker

The amazing Karubecue is the most innovative smoker in the world. The quality of meat from this machine is astonishing. At its crux is a patented firebox that burns logs above the cooking chamber and sucks heat and extremely clean blue smoke into the thermostat controlled oven. It is our favorite smoker, period.
                Click here for our review of this superb smoker

Surely you know somebody who loves outdoor cooking who deserves a gift for the holidays, birthday, anniversary, or just for being wonderful. There he is, right in the mirror! Here are our selections of best ideas, all Platinum or Gold Medalists, listed by price.

Click here to see our list of Gold Medal Gifts

The Pit Barrel Cooker May Be Too Easy

The PBC has a rabid cult following for good reason. It is absolutely positively without a doubt the best bargain on a smoker in the world. Period. This baby will cook circles around the cheap offset sideways barrel smokers because temperature control is so much easier.

Click here to read our detailed review and the raves from people who own them

Masterbuilt MPS 340/G ThermoTemp XL Propane Smoker

This is the first propane smoker with a thermostat, making this baby foolproof. Set ThermoTemp’s dial from 175° to 350°F and the thermostat inside will adjust the burner just like an indoor kitchen oven. All you need to do is add wood to the tray above the burner to start smokin’.

Click here to read our detailed review

Is This Superb Charcoal Grill A Kamado Killer?

The PK-360, with 360 square inches of cooking space, this rust free, cast aluminum charcoal grill is durable and easy to use. Four-way venting means it’s easy to set up for two zone cooking with more control than single vent Kamado grills. It is beautifully designed, completely portable, and much easier to set up for 2-zone cooking than any round kamado.

Click here to read our detailed review of the PK 360

Click here to order directly and get an exclusive AmazingRibs.com deal

Grilla Pellet Smoker proves good things come in small packages

We always liked Grilla. The small 31.5″ x 29.5″ footprint makes it ideal for use where BBQ space is limited, as on a condo patio.
                Click here for our review on this unique smoker