Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wanna Do A Great Ribeye On My Big Green Egg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK, so I got the tomahawk ribeye, gonna do it on Saturday. Big grilling weekend here, gonna smoke some ribs for my parents to eat with them tomorrow, then the ribeye on Saturday.

I had initially decided to take the advice of Panhead John & do it in the microwave, but ran into the problem that it won't fit with the bone in. So that will have to wait until next time. Rather than buy a bigger microwave, I figure I will just cut a small hole in the microwave door and let the bone stick out of the hole while the meat cooks inside

For this time though, I'm going with the suggestion of ecowper and use a chimney starter for the final sear. I picked up a chimney starter and the smallest cast iron grill grates they had...we'll see how it turns out!

Funny side note -- at first I was worried about it fitting nicely in my BGE because the bone was so long. The butcher gladly sawed part of the bone off with a bone saw for me. Not only will it be much easier to fit now, but when he did that it knocked several dollars off the price.

Picture attached, looking forward to trying it out on Saturday
    Attached Files

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      that chimney is gonna give you a lot of direct heat, so you'll want to flip the steak frequently to keep from burning/charring

• BradNorthGA
      BradNorthGA commented
      Editing a comment
      I am gonna test out the chimney method on a tuna steak, just to get a feel for it, before embarking on the ribeye cook. Thanks for the help everyone!

Protip: Remove the plastic.

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      If you do decide to go the raw route, heat the plastic first to melt it slightly. Easier to chew and adds an extra layer of flavor.

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      The great thing about this method is that when you are done, the bone fits in your microwave from corner to corner ..... and the bone makes a perfect utensil for eating the fantastic ribeye

• rickgregory
      rickgregory commented
      Editing a comment
      Guys, come on. You save the plastic wrap and use it to deglaze the pan after searing for that shiny pan sauce. Sheesh.

As I mentioned in a previous reply, I decided to test out the chimney starter method on a tuna steak to get a feel for it before trying it on the ribeye

It definitely gave it a nice sear! Passed the test for me
    Attached Files

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      That looks like some great seared tuna. Glad that worked out ..... now you can skip the microwave method.

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Hell no!

So last night I watched a ton of videos about reverse searing, including a few on the BGE. I saw several people do what Mosca and Henrik are describing. It actually looks pretty easy, easier than I thought it would be. At this point I am heavily leaning towards that. I have some good heat resistant gloves, I can take out the heat shield no problem. If for some reason I have trouble I do have the chimney starter handy just in case, but I don't think I will have any trouble. I will be sure to let everyone know how it turns out!

Speaking of the chimney starter...I also watched a video of Meathead cooking the thin steaks like they sell at Kroger (we get those every now and then) one on of those. Looked amazing, definitely gonna be trying that as well at some point

Comment

• Smoldering Flea
      Smoldering Flea commented
      Editing a comment
      Issue with the chimney starter backup is that if you make that decision mid-cook, it will take 10min for the chimney starter to heatup. I doubt you will need the backup though assuming that you have the gloves and feel fine lifting the plate setter out (it shouldn't be that hot if you're going at 225). I really think you shoudl just use the cast iron skillet in place of the plate setter to save yourself the hassle of removing.it later
      Last edited by Smoldering Flea; January 15, 2021, 02:38 PM.

Don’t forget your backup plan. Click image for larger version

Name:	B70801FA-2C5B-4326-B9A5-27F7E180626E.jpeg
Views:	152
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	974430

Comment

Just a quick tip: even though you have proper gloves: minimize the time you hold the plate setter. Know beforehand where you’re gonna place it, and then do a distinct move quickly. It really helps.

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        very good tip actually

• Mosca
        Mosca commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, good point. I thoughtlessly put my deflector down on a piece of plastic, and I had to buy a new one. I also once placed it on a porcelain paver that I use as a table top, causing it to fracture from the heat differential.

This turned out great, was easy to do in the Big Green Egg. Was able to quickly get the BGE up to searing temp after the first phase, took the heat deflector off and then opened the vents all the way blew a little bit of air into the bottom vent. By the time I was finished with the "meat love" and pepper (plus another steak seasoning that I like) it was absolutely roaring hot

One interesting thing that I will remember for the future, is that had I not had the butcher saw off part of that bone it probably wouldn't have fit!
      Attached Files
      Last edited by BradNorthGA; January 16, 2021, 03:50 PM.

Comment

• Mosca
        Mosca commented
        Editing a comment
        Glad to read this!

Any cooker can do almost anything. It’s just a matter of finding the right method.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here