Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Resting a Brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Resting a Brisket

With a 9 pound point, cooked to 203 degrees, and wrapped in foil for the last few hours of cooking, would it be better to wrap it in a towel, put it in a beer cooler and let it rest until its internal temperature reaches 140-145 F? Or put it in an oven heated to 140 F and let it rest there for 2-3 hours?

I like wrapping in towels and putting it in the beer cooler (without the beer)

Comment

Wrap the entire package (including the foil) in towels (or just put a big towel in the bottom of the cooler then the foil wrapped brisket then topped with another towel. Keep the temp probe inserted. Close the cooler and let the temp gradually fall to 160. Don't take it down to 140-145 as that is in the danger zone for pathogens. An oven set to 140 will rise above and fall below 140 as it cycles on and off and is not the same as a slow, steady drop in temp.

Comment

If your towel and cooler are decent it will probably still be 165-175 after 2-3 hours, it is really efficient.

Comment

• DWCowles
          DWCowles commented
          Editing a comment
          _John_ you are correct. I have had my go for 4 hrs and they were at 165 when I took them out.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here