Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Different Brisket Grades And Smoking Tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Different Brisket Grades And Smoking Tips

From packer cuts to Certified Angus Beef, all you wanted to know about that succulent, juicy, tender, and tasty brisket you tear through at your favorite barbecue joint.

I just ran across this article In Texas Monthly about the different grades of brisket and the smoking temps of brisket. They talked to several of the top Pitmaster’s in Texas BBQ joints and asked what grades they use. CAB, Prime, Choice.....as well as Select used by some. I was a little surprised to learn that Select grades, because of their lower fat content, should be cooked at higher temps and a shorter period of time. I learned a few things from this article....just thought I’d share it with y’all.

Reelly? On a Saturday? We;ve got cookin, drinkin and eatin to do. No time fo readin!

that should spool him up with my miss spellin and such.

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      I thought maybe Mrs. Hawker could read it to ya. Since it don’t really have pictures in it.

• Loren
      Loren commented
      Editing a comment
      For some of us it's actually Thursday 😞

Great article. Thanks!

Comment

Good article, thanks for sharing. My question is, if you're doing a select brisket at say 350F, to keep it from rendering out too much fat, would you still be looking for a finished temp in the neighborhood of 200F, or would you be shooting for something lower? I'm kinda addicted to the prime from Costco, but I will from time to time have to settle for a choice. It's never occured to me to drop it down to select.

Comment

Interesting. Thanks for posting.

Comment

Interesting, thanks for sharing. The story about Franklin’s is a little scary. Given what these places are charging for brisket, I’d be a little upset paying that price along with the 2-3 hour wait only to catch them on a bad week.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here