Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Osso Bucco...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Osso Bucco...

A friend just delivered a basket with various cuts of meat from a really nice butcher shop. I have good friends, really good friends. But, one of the cuts was osso bucco (sp?). Never made it, does it get braised inside and roasted, or is there a better payoff on fire?

Click image for larger version

Name:	B17652B3-64DA-4ACE-BA41-8DDCF1170372.jpeg
Views:	237
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	954763Click image for larger version

Name:	27FBA00B-48DC-45BD-8535-B8615D22BD29.jpeg
Views:	210
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	954764Click image for larger version

Name:	2D8B54C2-6556-409F-9C73-73CC4C3A152F.jpeg
Views:	228
Size:	137.5 KB
ID:	954765 This is a braising cut. They are shanks , either beef or veal. Needs long cook in a dutch oven. I make this fairly often. Many, many recipes on line. Just google osso bucco recipes and you’ll be all set. Here’s one I did with beef shanks.

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Jfrosty27 Damn man! That looks awesome! Now you got me wanting to do that. Sounds like something perfect for winter time cooking. And Richard Chrz you do have some good friends. I had a friend who brought me a bologna sandwich once.

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Breathtakinly Spectacular lookin food, an pics!

Fine Job, Brother!

Also, jus noticed that yerself, klflowers , an my danged ol self all have summa th same china! (pic #1)

Th shanks, they makin me right bad hongry, but them taters an gravy like to make me moan, Brother!

Great Job, many thanks fer sharin with us!

I have made it 2x but can only find one of the recipes that I used and it comes from the PK sitr https://www.pkgrills.com/grate-frien...an-osso-bucco/
    I have eaten it many times. Favorite all time place to order it is at Aldo's here in Va Beach followed by La Bella Dona in HK.

Comment

I’ve never made it, but I’d imagine that smoking for a couple hours and then braising would add a nice layer of flavor. I seem to recall Troutman did a write up on something like this a while back.

Comment

Richard Chrz Braise Braise Braise! My favorite recipe is out of Marcella Hazan - The Classic Italian Cookbook. I love osso buco! I even own marrow forks! That said, toast up some baguette and schmear the marrow on the toast. So good! Jfrosty27 did the dish proud with mashed potatoes. I switch it up and do risotto as well sometimes.

Comment

Ive made Pho with Osso buco! Use the instapot as well, so it was only a few hour cook and was freaking amazing! There’s a long list of other things in Pho but it’s worth it.

That’s said, Jfrosty27 inspired me to go get osso buco with the dish he made! Looks amazing!

Comment

Make it all the time. I use shank (what you have there) or ox tail when I can't get shank.

Comment

• Richard Chrz
              Richard Chrz commented
              Editing a comment
              I did not post a photo of it. That’s rare talent to look into a package I have not looked into yet. 😜 Cheers!

• texastweeter
              texastweeter commented
              Editing a comment
              Lol if it's labeled osso bunco it is shank. That is the only cut labeled than it translates to "bone with hole".

• Richard Chrz
              Richard Chrz commented
              Editing a comment
              @texatweeter, I knew what ya meant, I was hav9ng some fun. Hope y0ur day is good.

Ha! This thread reminded me that I have some very nice veal shanks from Allen Brothers in the freezer. Guess what’s on the menu in a few days?

Comment

• SheilaAnn
              SheilaAnn commented
              Editing a comment
              Pork chops?

• Bkhuna
              Bkhuna commented
              Editing a comment
              Veal shanks osso bucco are to die for.

Yea one of my favorite recipes. Combination of pre-smoking and finished by braising, it puts this recipe over the top. Works well with veal, pork, or beef shanks as well as ox tail.

Troutman's Smoked Osso Bucco

Click image for larger version

Name:	osbuc 10.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	232.0 KB
ID:	954833

Comment

• grantgallagher
              grantgallagher commented
              Editing a comment
              Beat me to it. Was gonna find your recipe and post. Its my go to now.

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              NOM!!!!!

• Mark V
              Mark V commented
              Editing a comment
              Looks to die for.

Troutman’s recipe is great. I make it all the time with ox tails.

Comment

Pellet grilled and seared lamb steaks resting, and now your pictures are making me even hungrier.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here