Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous Vide Brisket turned out great.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sous Vide Brisket turned out great.

I tried the Sous Vide Brisket recipe on this site. The recipe calls for a water bath of 150F for 30 hours, an ice bath to chill, and then when ready, about one hour in the smoker to warm it up to 125F

I was a little nervous and decided to test the recipe with a small book sized flat piece.

Then I got a lot nervous when after the 30 hour SV, the brisket turned quite stiff. I initially thought I had overcooked it and it would be shoe leather tough. When I was holding the bagged brisket in my hand, fresh out of the bath, I told my wife the experiment might be bad. She sad, "don't worry -- we can use a lot of sauce."

But, oh what a surprise. It was delicious and tender. Great texture. On the downside, there was not enough smoke flavor. I read suggestions to leave it on the smoker longer and also warnings that too long can dry it out.

Definitely worth another test to see if I can increase the missing smokey flavor.

I also saw in the recipe comments that Meathead is going to experiment with a higher SV temperature to get more fat rendering.

FWIW, I've used Polarbear777 's method for QVQ brisket (his original post was for pastrami but it works just as well for brisket) , and it is just about as perfect as it gets.

Polarbear777's method:

1. Smokes at 225° to 135° internal
    2. Sous vides the meat at 135° for 72 hours
    3. Plunges into an ice bath, refrigerates, to complete the cook within the next couple of days.
    4. Smokes at 350° (to avoid the stall) to 135° internal

Kathryn
    Last edited by fzxdoc; December 12, 2020, 06:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by fzxdoc View Post
      FWIW, I've used Polarbear777 's method for QVQ brisket (his original post was for pastrami but it works just as well for brisket) , and it is just about as perfect as it gets.

Kathryn
      I saw that recipe a day too late....It's on my list for next time.

Comment

fzxdoc dlaslo I read the two methods and I think my next brisket I'm going to smoke to 150, then SV for 30 hours, ice bath & smoke at 350 to 150 internal. I am thinking that by combing the two methods I can have an excellent brisket in a lot less time than Polarbear 777 method?

Comment

Davek8282 , Meathead says that the first smoke does not bring all that much to the party; that Sous Vide Que (SVQ) is just as tasty as QVQ. If you lop off the first part of the method you're proposing, sous vide at your desired time/temp, and then smoke at 350 to just under your sous vide temp, you'll likely have a tender, delicious result.

The thing about smoking first is that the smoke molecules are small enough to permeate the plastic bag, so your water gets smoky and the house smells like you're smoking inside. Not bad for a few hours, but maybe not all that desirable over a day or two of sous vide step.

For a good discussion of SVQ vs. QVQ, read Troutman 's question here:

and then follow through the conversation as Meathead responds.

I particularly liked this response from Meathead further down that page that describes how he taste tests:

That topic, as well as the Deep Dive SVQ book itself, makes for really thoughtful reading.

Kathryn

Comment

• BFlynn
            BFlynn commented
            Editing a comment
            That makes sense. I've got the QVQ Chuckie going right now, and every time I walk by, it smells like smoke..... and makes me hungry.

Before we completely fawn over Meathead's comments on SVQ versus QVQ you have to put things into proper context. The first thing you need to ask yourself is to what degree of finish are you trying to achieve in the first place. They run the gambit from medium rare like roast beef, to bringing it to the 165-170* mark and sliceable or classic over the top rendered brisket at 203*. Most people's immediate response is the latter, bring it to the classic temperature finish. That being the case, the pre-smoking is pretty much a waste of time.

If you are trying for a medium rare finish, the results are very much different. Pre-smoking is almost essential because it begins the establishment of bark essential to any good brisket. If you count on bark being established after the bath in your smoker you either don't get the desired finish or the bark is too weak and doesn't resemble the classic.

Here's the last one I did. No way I could have gotten the edge to edge medium rare finish and anywhere near that kind of bark without a pre-smoke. We're talking two completely different methods to achieve different results.

Click image for larger version

Name:	QVQ Brisket 02 IG.jpg
Views:	1361
Size:	205.2 KB
ID:	956427

Comment

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            Excellent point about the type of finish you're after. Thanks for pointing that out.

K.

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            Great post, Troutman !

Well, I’m going to start QVQ today (Saturday) for the feast on Wednesday. I tried SVQ above and it was pretty good. Although just saying "Sous Vide Que" sets off a tape in my head of a 60’s oldie song and it just happened again.

I think I’ll buy & cook a packer and use the point next week and freeze the SVed flat for another day.
          Last edited by dlaslo; January 16, 2021, 09:55 AM.

Comment

dlaslo your wife is a keeper!!!!! not sure about your brisket....pics or it didn't happen

Comment

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              Good to see you posting again Noob !!

I'm kicking myself. I did the 54 hour sous vide at 135F and I now see it is clearly written at 130F. Not sure where I got the wrong temperature. Too late now.

Today, I'll do the last smoke per Troutman's recipe and will post pics and results.

Comment

Originally posted by dlaslo View Post
              I'm kicking myself. I did the 54 hour sous vide at 135F and I now see it is clearly written at 130F. Not sure where I got the wrong temperature. Too late now.

Today, I'll do the last smoke per Troutman's recipe and will post pics and results.
              Now I see above where fzxdoc has the SV @ 135F......but Troutman has it at 130F. Probably not a big deal ....

Comment

• BFlynn
                BFlynn commented
                Editing a comment
                I wouldn't think that 5 degrees is a big deal. There is probably a temp gradient in your water as well, cooling away from the circulator.

Well, I did the Troutman at Q=135F (approx 2 hrs) at 225F in pellet smoker ; V=54 hrs at 135F bath; and Qf=135 internal (approx 2.5 hrs) @225F in pellet smoker

I had a prime whole packer and I froze the point and another small flat after the V and did the final smoke with the flat.

When the final temp in the thickest part was 135F I pulled it. I was surprised the temperature in other thinner parts were 145 - 165F

Back in December - I cooked a small flat using Cliff's recipe.

I didn't get a medium rare meat, but it was good. Juicy, tasty, and nice texture. I thought it was slightly better than Cliff's but my wife thought it was a lot better - a home run.,

the first pic below is after 54 hours SV then is the final product and finally the flat with the last smoke in the pellet smoker
              Attached Files
              Last edited by dlaslo; January 27, 2021, 02:00 PM.

Comment

• Donw
                Donw commented
                Editing a comment
                Very nicely done.

• rickgregory
                rickgregory commented
                Editing a comment
                So, in your opinion was it worth all that?

• dlaslo
                dlaslo commented
                Editing a comment
                @rickgregory....

Was it worth it?.... Jury is still out. When I compare it to Clint's SV recipe (one day less SV time).

Create mouthwateringly tender Texas-style BBQ beef brisket every time with this recipe for sous vide and smoked brisket. By starting with sous vide, otherwise tough brisket is rendered moist and tender before finishing it on the smoker or grill to add the smoky goodness of traditional brisket.

it is very similar. I used choice for Clint's and prime with Troutman's My wife thought the Troutman brisket was significantly better.

I'm going to try Clint's with a prime cut and compare (I also have a remaining piece of Troutman's in the freezer)

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here