Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to do with a ribeye cap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to do with a ribeye cap?

So I pulled the cap off a rib roast a few months ago. It's been vac-sealed and frozen since. Probably about 3 pounds. About the size of a nice tri-tip, I guess.

Looking for ideas. I was thinking thaw, unseal, season with S&P & garlic powder, then vacuum back up and sous vide for a couple of hours at 130ºF or so, then sear super hot and fast for 2-3 minutes, cut into strips, eat in rolled corn tortillas, maybe a little grilled peppers & onions +/- mushrooms. Some salsa and sour cream.

I don't know, just grill hot and get a great sear, eat rare-ish like a regular steak?

What do you guys think?

Ribeye cap is arguably supposed to be the tastiest cut out there. It's the highly marbled outer portion of the ribeye steak, and pulling the cap off a big rib roast gives you an entire large flat steak of that super tasty marbled meat.

Matter of fact, Bobby Flay labels this his favorite steak ever. Someplace I think in upstate NY does it rolled up, topped with just S&P & garlic butter, I think, sears it just in a 1600ºF broiler, I believe. looks awesome, but this cut I have won't doo too well that way, it's flat like I mentioned.

So I'm thinking of doing this tonight or tomorrow. Any ideas?

I would NOT bury it under all the flavors you're listing precisely because if it's good quality it should be very tasty on its own. Usually when I have something like that, I go simple and let the ingredient sing. So, S&P pr maybe Cow Crust, reverse sear/SV, sear, slice and eat. Or roast.
    Last edited by rickgregory; December 11, 2020, 12:19 PM.

Comment

Or just a touch of Montreal steak seasoning. Like rickgregory says. Treat it like a great steak

Comment

It is my favorite cut. Beefy and well marbled. I would not waste it in a fajita much like I wouldn’t use a whole ribeye steak in a fajita.

I would cook it like any normal steak and serve as is or with a chimichurri. If you have the whole cap, you can roll and tie it and then roast whole or slice into steaks that resemble a filet in size and shape — but 1000% times tastier

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Yup, was thinking the same, pinwheels !!!!

The spinalis dorsi muscle is arguably the crème del la crème of any cut of meat on the cow. I agree with the others, it needs to be featured, like it's cousin next to it (the rest of the ribeye). Simple seasoning, sous vide then quick sear to rare. Delightful, I can taste it now !!! I expect some pictures young man

Comment

If it’s about 3 lbs, separate it into 4 steaks. Then salt and pepper, rippin’ hot cast iron skillet. Keep the Thermapen handy, it will get done quickly.

Comment

roll and tie it up in a pinwheel. Slice into steaks, grill to MR, and pair with PBR.

Comment

Send it to me?

Comment

• klflowers
                klflowers commented
                Editing a comment
                Best idea yet, only to me instead

i personally actually like it left on the ribeye or prime rib even if it gets "overcooked." That being the case, i wouldn't sous vide it--it is a super forgiving cut that i think shows better cooked towards the medium side vs. the rare side. I would roll it up and tie it and cook it like a steak. and i would eat it on its own vs. stuffing it into a fajita. All of these ideas: sous vide, using as a protein in a dish, etc. are all things you'd do with lower cuts of meat in my opinion.

Comment

Nice sear to med-rare. Then eat it while you make everyone else hot dogs...

Comment

Just adding to the chorus, season lightly, sear hot, eat, profit.

Comment

Seems like quite a consensus! I might be banz0red if I do too much to this steak! lol

Comment

• rickgregory
                      rickgregory commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Ultimately your meat your choice but I think the reason we all say this is that it's a waste of a good cut to make fajitas etc out of it. You can use a less expensive cut for that and get fajitas (or whatever) that are just as good.

Agree with most of the above...keep it simple - S&P sear in a pan or over coals. I like it closer to medium than MR as a little more of the fat will render and make for a juicier final product

Comment

Here's the one I did back on December 22, 2019, 10:15 AM
                      Here's one of my favorite things to cook. Did this last night. Whole ribeye cap. I bought a whole primal cut prime ribeye from Costco awhile back and separated the cap from the eye, trim it up and rolled and tied it and into the freezer. After thawing, I untied it and dry brined for several hours in the frig. (1/2 tsp kosher salt per lb. of meat) I set up the BGE with the AR rig and put the grill gates, smooth side up down low, to sear on later. Rub the cap with Worcestershire and seasoned with Oakridge BBQ's Spogos, a little spay of duck fat and cooked @ 300 for about 30 minutes, flipping several times. I then pulled it about 120, spayed a little duck fat on the grill gates and got the fire roaring. Decided to put a little Oakridge BBQ's Carne Crosta on the meat before searing. This is really a great tasting piece of meat, Our Costco sometimes has the cap tied up as individual pin wheel shaped steaks, about 2" wide. I'll get these sometimes and untie them, roll them out and cook hot and fast. Click image for larger version

Name:	Image 12-22-19 at 7.34 AM (3).jpg
Views:	236
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	954470Click image for larger version

Name:	Image 12-22-19 at 7.34 AM (2).jpg
Views:	239
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	954468Click image for larger version

Name:	Image 12-22-19 at 7.42 AM.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	954469Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_523.jpeg
Views:	286
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	954466Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_522.jpeg
Views:	247
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	954467

Comment

The best part of the cow in my opinion. Sear over hot coals. I prefer it at the higher end of medium rare, about 135.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here