Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse

2021 Meat-Up In Memphis Canceled - Rescheduled for March 2022

We've unfortunately had to cancel the 2021 Meat-Up in Memphis. We are rescheduling for March 18-20, 2022. More details and re-booking info coming soon! For now click here for more info.
See more
See less

Food safety question about meat thawing unwrapped and refreezing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • glitchy
    Club Member
    • Jul 2019
    • Central IA
    • MAK 2 Star General
      Weber Summit Charcoal Grill
      w/ Big Joetisserie, SnS LP, and Vortex
      Weber Traveler
      Fireboard 2 Drive
      Anova Precision Sous Vide
      All the (pellet) grills I’ve loved before:
      Traeger Junior Elite^
      GMG DB
      Traeger Texas Elite
      Memphis Pro§
      Traeger Pro 575
      CampChef SmokePro STX (ugly grills need love too)
      Weber SmokeFire EX4§
      Traeger Select
      CampChef Woodwind WiFi w/SearBox^
      Weber SmokeFire EX4§

^ = Favorites
      § = Love/Hate Relationships

Food safety question about meat thawing unwrapped and refreezing

Long story short, I have a 19 lb hunk of beef thawing open in the fridge. Normally this would have stayed in cryovac, but I was foolishly thinking that I'd separate it frozen somehow and throw most of it back in freezer before it thawed. My guess is that I'll be at least 36 hours into this thing sitting open air in our kitchen refrigerator before I'm able to get it sectioned. At that point is it really safe to vacuum seal and refreeze it to be thawed and cooked in months ahead? Or do we really need to cook and consume this over the next few days?
  • ComfortablyNumb
    Club Member
    • May 2017
    • Northeast Washington
    • KBQ C-60
      PK360
      Thermoworks Smoke
      Thermoworks Thermopop
      Thermoworks Dot

If you had a meat saw you could probably cut that frozen. You could use a hack saw, I just don't like the idea of using a blade with paint on it.

Comment

• glitchy
      glitchy commented
      Editing a comment
      I did buy a meat saw, after 5 mins of sawing I had less than 10 percent of the first cut done. I'll probably try the saw again tonight after it's been in the fridge about 24 hours.

• ComfortablyNumb
      ComfortablyNumb commented
      Editing a comment
      So much for that idea!

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      chain saw? maybe not. never mind.
  • rickgregory
    Founding Member
    • Aug 2014
    • Seattle, WA

Define 'open'. Assuming it's not uncovered but simply not cryovacced, I don't see a problem re-freezing it if you do it ASAP after it thaws. I'd try to catch it just as it unfreezes, maybe with the center still a bit icy. Divide it, vacseal and freeze. What I would not do is let it sit for 3-4 days thawed, then re-freeze, but you know that.

Comment

• glitchy
      glitchy commented
      Editing a comment
      No, it's uncovered. Probably a dumb move in hindsight, but I was thinking that when dry brining beef you leave open to help dry the surface...so was getting a head start on the portion I was planning to cook tomorrow.

• rickgregory
      rickgregory commented
      Editing a comment
      Well, then, I'd cover it. I think you're OK assuming your fridge is clean, but I'd toss some wrap on/over it. Or if it's thawed enough, break it down and vac seal.

Announcement

Collapse

2021 Meat-Up In Memphis Canceled - Rescheduled for March 2022

We've unfortunately had to cancel the 2021 Meat-Up in Memphis. We are rescheduling for March 18-20, 2022. More details and re-booking info coming soon! For now click here for more info.
See more
See less
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}