Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beef Short Ribs- Timing/Temp Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beef Short Ribs- Timing/Temp Questions

So I’m about to embark on my first beef short ribs on my Yoder YS480.

I looked at the package and it told me the whole slab/plate weighs about 11.6 lbs (including the 3 bones)

My thoughts are to smoke it at 250. I was thinking 225 but I have a feeling it’s gonna be on there for a while. Goal is no wrapping or spritzing.

Now I know that I’m looking for more of a feel to tell me when my ribs are done but looking for an internal temp of 200-205.

With that said, can anyone give me an idea how long these things are going to take. I’ve seen timing anywhere from 8-12 hours. The last thing I want to do is expect 8 hours, have everything else ready for Thanksgiving but the ribs need to stay on for another 4 hours.

Any and all feedback would be much appreciated.

Franklin I'm pretty sure runs his at 275 since that bone acts as a heat sink. I like 275-300 for ribs. They bark up better and it helps mitigate that stall. ALWAYS remember, these meats that are taken to 200+ can rest/hold after the cook for a looooong time no problem.

Comment

The last hunk of plate ribs I did went just over 7 hours at 275F. Hope this helps.

Comment

The ribs will hold for 4 hours if ya faux Cambro it. It’s always better to have the food done early for dinner than having to wait for it when everyone is ready to eat. My ribs take around 8 hours at 250-275 for 5 bones. I always plan for a 10 hour cook just to be on the safe side(that way I don’t get yelled at)

Comment

At 11+ lbs, that's almost 4 lbs per bone. I'd be sorely tempted to slice for each bone. That will shorten the cook a little, but will give you a lot more bark.

Comment

Interesting. I hadn’t really considered it. Here is a pic of what I got going. The ribs are defrosting in a roasting pan that essentially fits whole turkeys. What is the downside to splitting up the ribs individually vs cooking it as a full slab?
            Attached Files

Comment

• Bogy
              Bogy commented
              Editing a comment
              The downside? You'll use more rub, because you have more surface space, and more surface space also means more smoke. Not sure that's really a downside?

• RonB
              RonB commented
              Editing a comment
              Do you like the bark? Do you like lots of bark? If ya don't, then leave the plate whole. If you leave the plate whole, you will have two bones with bark on three sides and one with bark on the top and bottom only. On the rare occasion that I buy these in a restaurant, I always ask for bones from the outside of the plate so I get more bark.

Cook them at 275, they will take 6-7 hours. And like others have said, a looong hold only improves things.

Comment

11.6 pounds is massive for that cut. I’ve had racks half that size take 8+ hours so I’d plan on 12 hours at least just to be on the safe side. This rack in the pic was 6 lbs and took 9-10 hours so you never know.
              Attached Files

Comment

You have great advise here. I’m just curious as to what you are going to season with have fun with this cook! I need to get some Dino ribs soon!

Comment

I am going super simple with the rub. Yellow mustard as the binder and salt, pepper, garlic. That’s it. I want to taste the beef.

Comment

Agree with what everyone has said. I run 275*, those babies take 6-8 hours to go probe. Pepper after the overnight salt brine. I spritz once an hour. Rest them for one hour. Then enjoy on of the best beef experiences.

Comment

Here are a few pic I snapped of the end product. They turned our great. Thanks for the all of the advice. Until the next one...
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Jfrosty27
                        Jfrosty27 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Looks perfect. One my favorite bbq meats. Maybe THE favorite. Nice work.

• Troutman
                        Troutman commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Good work, see how easy that was?

• Bogy
                        Bogy commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Those look great!

How long did they take and did ya have ya hold em over and if so how long?

Comment

• EZCUSE
                        EZCUSE commented
                        Editing a comment
                        My cook was roughly 9.5 hours at an average temp of 250. I let them sit for 30 min. I would have had them sit longer but we were just simply too hungry.

Looks great!

Comment

Good job. Looks like ya timed em just bout right

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here