Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Butter aged beef?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Butter aged beef?

I was asked yesterday what I though of butter aged steaks. I had to admit I knew nothing about the technique, so I googled it and found some restaurants are caking butter around steaks them leaving them to age as if they were dry aging. Have any of you tried this or have an opinion? A high end restaurant in Saigon was raving about it. Now that covid has taught me the joys of being a hermit I don't see myself in Saigon any time soon.

There are videos on youtube of this process, I've heard it is really good. Since they are covered with the butter the meat doesn't shrink down like regular dry aging. Apparently the butter flavor penetrates the meat. As I was just looking at youtube videos on this process I saw that Gugafoods aged some meat in peanut butter but didn't watch the video.

Comment

Our butcher does this to rib roasts several times a year. He currently has 2 for himself and 1 for me hanging in a walk-in since mid-September. We are going to his employee/customer Christmas party where he will be serving one. Mine will be for our family Christmas dinner.

Comment

• tbob4
        tbob4 commented
        Editing a comment
        That’s what I need - a butcher friend who has a Christmas party. Now, I would never, in a million years, attend his Halloween party.

I've heard it doesn't work as well with butter that doesn't have salt. Seems like a more expensive dry-ish brine.

I love me some butter.

Comment

At the old job, we would coat a strip loin or rib roast in tallow for aging. Crazy good!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here