Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cooking from Frozen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cooking from Frozen

A couple logistical things changed for me this week and I was hoping to pick the Pit's brain on cooking something in the oven from frozen. It's an eye of the round that I usually sous vide for 24 hours, but it's frozen and I need it on the table in 5-7 hours.

So I have a lot of time, so I could reverse sear it from frozen or I could just crank it up and cook it like an old school roast.

If anyone has had success or massive failures reverse searing a roast type cut from frozen, please let me know. Its my gut instinct to reverse sear, but would love to hear from your experience.

I cook, grill rather, frozen burgers on my pellet grill. Just put them on at 350df and use grill grates for those dreaded but good looking grill marks, and sear.

Comment

I would not alter how you'd cook them in the oven. That is, I'd add maybe 30 mins to cooking time but otherwise use the same oven temp. About 1-2 hours in the entire thing should easily be thawed and I'd then insert a temp probe and take to medium rare, medium or whatever you prefer.

it's odd, you'd think being frozen would alter things more, but aside from a little extra time, it doesn't.

PS: Obviously rub etc won't stick to the frozen exterior so when you insert the temp prob, add the rub. Or even earlier as long as the outside is thawed.

Comment

thanks for the tips, ended up confidently putting the frozen roast in the oven reverse seared it, and it came out a b+ which is all I was looking for in a scrambling situation thanks everyone!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here