Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Top Round Roast - Ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Top Round Roast - Ideas?

Prime CAB Top Round roast is on sale in my supermarket for what seems like a good price. That said, I have no idea what to do with top round. Can somebody point me in the direction of something good to do with such a roast if I were to pick one up? Thanks in advance.

Have a look at Baltimore Pit Beef on the free side.

Comment

• rickgregory
      rickgregory commented
      Editing a comment
      Beat me to it.

Medium rare and slice thin against the grain.

Comment

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      Across the grain, 😛

• DeusDingo
      DeusDingo commented
      Editing a comment
      perpendicular to the grain :-P

Good question, I picked up some eye of round a few weeks ago, had some plans but not sure on that now after some reading. Will watch here as well to see what some may suggest.

Comment

• rickgregory
      rickgregory commented
      Editing a comment
      For eye, you can do it medium rare, slice across the grain and use for sandwiches. You could do pit beef. OR... you can do jerky. mmmm

• barelfly
      barelfly commented
      Editing a comment
      rickgregory - you hit on two of the ideas I have. Jerky, because I’ve never made jerky before, and the pit beef. I two portions, so perhaps I’ll do both.

Thanks for the suggestions!

• klflowers
      klflowers commented
      Editing a comment
      Jerky. Whenever I get a round, that is what it ends up. I keep meaning to make pit beef, but the jerky pull is too strong.

I like to roast it Chicago Italian Beef Style or Baltimore Pit beef. Both are awesome as is, But after it is roasted I like to slice it as thin as possible put it in a slow cooker with beef stock and let it sit for a few hours. Great straight with roasted potatoes or Makes awesome sandwiches

Comment

Jerky. I haven't done anything except jerky with a round in a long time. I need to try the pit beef, but I have a dehydrator that is just sitting there...

Comment

I have a little time to share my experience. I was using eye of round.

The first one I did came out a little bit tough, but okay enough. I did it like a rib roast, 225* until an internal of 130*. (I’ve also seen people say to set the oven at 500*, put the roast in, and after 10 minutes turn the oven off. I’ve never done that, but I did try someone else’s roast where they did that, and it was really good.) When someone says "thin slice", try to get it really thin. 1/8” is too thick. Try and shave that son of a gun. I served it as open faced roast beef sandwiches, in mushroom gravy.

The second one I did the same way. I did it to medium, by accident, and it was really tough. We ate the dinner part, but didn’t bother with leftovers.

So, it‘ s cheap, relatively speaking, but unforgiving. No more than medium rare, and thin slice across the grain. I’m not sure there’s anything really that it’s better for than sandwiches.
        Last edited by Mosca; November 2, 2020, 01:52 PM.

Comment

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          I do it Pit Beef style. I don’t go past rare. That means the ends will be medium rare for those that don’t like rare roast beast.

Sauerbraten?

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
          ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
          Editing a comment
          I like this answer best, though jerky and pit beef are always good go-to's with this.

• Tax Man
          Tax Man commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes!

I’m with Mosca here, slice it super thin. I make roast beef out of it, always a winner.

Comment

Top round takes well to sous vide and searing. I usually sous vide at 131 F for 24-36 hours, then sear on the plancha.

Comment

• BourBonQ
            BourBonQ commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, this^^^. Perfect temp end to end. And make some jus from the bag juices.

Roast beef, MR, sliced thin, In a toasted sour dough roll, and Horse Radish Sauce.
          Paired with PBR. oh yea.

Comment

• Tax Man
            Tax Man commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm sitting here at 4:30 AM and that is making me hungry! Just like you described, maybe with a slice of provolone. Oh yeah!

• bbqLuv
            bbqLuv commented
            Editing a comment
            😃 cheese, yes add cheese. My bad.

Sous Vide at 131° for 12 or more hours..Sear on grill or Cast iron. Use the liquid in the bag to make an Au Jus.....Slice thin...Oh yeah!

Comment

• BourBonQ
            BourBonQ commented
            Editing a comment
            What he said^^^

Light up your smoker, dry rub the round outta the fridge and on the grill at 280ish, flip it a coupla times if that floats your boat.
          As Mosca a says cook to inside temp of no more than 130, let it rest and slice thin as you can.
          Well worth the effort.

Comment

Grind that sucker!!

Comment

So I didn't buy a roast because they didn't look like they were worth the extra cost of "prime" (no visible marbling.) I DID, however, buy a CAB prime London broil that looks amazing. Maybe I'll post a picture later. I'm not sure I could slice a roast thin enough to make a good sammy. Thanks for all of the ideas, though.

Comment

• smokin fool
                smokin fool commented
                Editing a comment
                That is the thing about rounds, lean as all get out but done right it's outstanding.
                Takes smoke like a champ.
                Your doing yourself an injustice not trying a round at least once.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here