Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked Skirt Steak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked Skirt Steak

Has anyone tried skirt steak on the smoker? I just bought a "peeled outside skirt steak" at the supermarket. It is 1.25 inches thick and very heavily marbled. I bought it to cook in a pressure cooker along with potatoes and carrots. But I wonder how it would turn out on the smoker? Maybe smoke it like beef ribs.

Good question!

The only way I've ever done skirt, flat iron, or flank has been high heat, but none of these cuts were as thick as yours. Still, I wonder if a quick cook on high heat is the preferred method, even though the meat is thick.

From CI:

The few recipes I looked at are utilizing high heat whether gas or charcoal. They insist that skirt needs an IT of 130 in order to be at it's most tender.

"Medium-Rare? Not With This steak

Cooking most steaks to 125 degrees, or medium-rare, delivers the juiciest, most tender results. But skirt steak is one exception. When a piece of beef is heated, its muscle fibers shrink in width, separating them from one another and making them easier to chew. For cuts like strip steak, which have comparatively thin fibers, the amount of shrinking, and thus tenderizing, that occurs when the meat is cooked to 125 degrees is sufficient. But skirt steak has wider muscle fibers that need to shrink further, and thus require cooking to 130 degrees, before they are acceptably tender.
    However, this tenderizing effect doesn’t continue the more you cook the steak. Once any cut of meat hits 140 degrees, muscle fibers begin to shrink not just in width but also in length, and that causes the meat to toughen again. This lengthwise shrinking also squeezes out juices, which means your steak will end up not just tough but also dry."

Anyway, CI made their own Vortex by cutting the bottom out of an Aluminum roasting pan.

So now CI has the Vortex prototype, discovered MH's Afterburner method, and the next thing will be the Sear & Sloe.

I'm sure you'll get good answers from these folks here!.

--Ed
    Last edited by Medusa; June 25, 2015, 04:03 PM. Reason: Added Notes from CI and some humor...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here