Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beef rib roast, large end vs small

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beef rib roast, large end vs small

OK, I did my reading, but I wonder if there is a consensus about this.

I have the whole thing, like 7 or 8 bones (didn’t count ‘em). I am still going to use half as a roast, and half will be cut into steaks.

Based on what I’ve read, I want to use the small end for the roast, and the large end for the steaks.

Who agrees, who thinks different?
    Use the large end for the roast, small end for the steaks
    17.39%
    Use the small end for the roast, large end for the steaks
    69.57%
    Who cares, it doesn’t matter.
    13.04%

This is a conundrum!!!!
    My first thought was big steaks, but then I don't want a puny roast, but then I want a big roast, but then I don't want puny steaks.....and around in circles I go.
    In the end I decided 2 roasts or all steaks.

Comment

Originally posted by smokin fool View Post
      This is a conundrum!!!!
      My first thought was big steaks, but then I don't want a puny roast, but then I want a big roast, but then I don't want puny steaks.....and around in circles I go.
      In the end I decided 2 roasts or all steaks.

From what I understand, the small end is more tender and the large end has a bigger spinalis. But what the hell do I know, when I didn’t think about it at all, everything I ate was great. For that matter I could take the roast out of the middle and steaks from both ends.

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        I vote for taking steaks from each end :-)

I think somewhere around the 6th rib you’ll get the most spinalis. Toward the rear is a bit leaner with less fat but it is still a ribeye.

pick your poison. I like a small thick steak sometimes. I’ve been eating my meat more towards medium lately and a thick well cooked steak is still tender and I think that small end is deliciously beefy.

my opinion is the large end is more unctuous/fatty/ more ribeye mouth feel like. I hope this makes sense.

I do really enjoy that small end at about 140° finished (eating) temp. Especially the fat ones.

edit:

I like that small end front seared quickly with normal (not 1000°) heat and walking into the cook. I’m weird though.
      Last edited by HouseHomey; October 8, 2020, 09:30 PM.

Comment

Large end for both steaks and roast.

Comment

i like charred spinalis on ribeyes. I always ask the butcher for the largest spinalis for rib eye. i love spinalis for roast too, but enjoy a tender eye on my prime rib.

in short i would base my whole decision on getting the most spinalis for my steaks

Comment

• Mosca
            Mosca commented
            Editing a comment
            That's my thinking as well.

Solomon says: Cut 2 ribs off large end and 2 off smaller end for steaks, and the middle for roast.

Comment

small end for tenderness, roast in my vote, ribs removed.

Comment

I voted, thought I have absolutely no rational basis for my vote. I just like the idea of bigger steaks. 😮

Comment

I went with bigger end for roast as you want a consistent shape.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                Rubs Promo
                Meat-Up in Memphis