Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Big bad beef rubbin’ the family the wrong way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welcome! Plenty of good ideas here for your next brisket. I use kosher salt and black pepper and once in a while will add garlic powder. That's it. As was mentioned by several members previously, let the meat shine.....

Comment

I like spicy food but not spicy BBQ. The recipe notes for rubs with cayenne, etc indicate its there for a "kiss" of heat. For my palate it is a lot more than just a "kiss" of heat. I just leave the heat out and the rubs taste great to our family.

As with many things here it's often a matter of personal taste.

Comment

BBBR is good, but I totally get what they’re saying. The truth is that beef has such a great natural flavor it doesn’t need much. 90% of the time beef only gets salt and pepper from me. Maybe a little garlic.

For brisket...never anything but 50/50 Morton’s coarse kosher salt and coarse ground black pepper!

Comment

Awesome!
          Thank you for the replys! Lots to chew on
          I’ll post pictures tomorrow

Comment

I use about 1/3 the amount of pepper than the recipe calls for. My family (and I) don't need all that pepper. In addition, I go real easy on the rub (BBBR and commercial rubs). I prefer to taste the meat, not the rub.

Comment

I just want to get my welcome in - Have Fun here in the PIT, as we do here in the Lou!

Okay - I lied. If my wife (we're empty nesters) just doesn't like a rub, I don't use it again. I go a different direction entirely without trying to 'save' something she clearly didn't care for.

Click image for larger version

Name:	StLouisSkyline.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	916361

Comment

Well, it turned out good!
                Good rich smoke flavor which we like.
                I ended up doing 1 part bbbr and 1 part garlic powder (a few people mentioned garlic and we’re a garlic family) and that mellowed the heat back enough for everyone.
                It was only a 4lber so it cooked fairly quick.
                Salted and injected with low sodium beef broth at 5:00 last night
                on the preheated (225) smoker at noon with temp probe reading 36
                hit 160 about 1:30
                crutched with a bit more broth - double wrapped foil
                hit 203 at 4:45 then faux cambro until 5:30 for the meal.
                poured a bit of crutch juice on the meat, the kids enjoyed it plain and with a bit of bbq sauce, my wife and I ate it neked.
                i was really nervous about it hockey pucking on me.
                the brisket came from a 1/4 cow I purchased the day before Minnesota shut down this spring. It’s grass fed French highlander so it’s a pretty lean cow. The butcher had trimmed off 95% of the fat cap. I almost wondered if I should throw in a couple pieces of bacon with it but ended up hoping between the broth injection And the crutch it would be ok.
                turned out tender for the win! The crutch and braising from the broth really softened the bark, but it was a really nice juicy tender meal.
                im allowed to make it again, so I passed.
                thanks for all the input.
                Attached Files

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here