Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket ground beef

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket ground beef

I bought a packer brisket, and I'd like to grind part of it for burgers (for cooking at another time.) But I don't know what part(s) to use. Do I use the flat? The flat plus fat trimmings? The point? Part of each?

I trimmed lean and fat until I got an 80-20 ratio and blended.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Assuming you weight the piles of meat & fat separately before grinding, or do you just eyeball it?

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      I weighed to start. Kinda like measuring salt for dry brining, I weigh every now and then to "calibrate."

The one time I used brisket in ground beef I used a whole packer plus some short rib meat and some chuck roast - best ground beef I've ever had.

This is the blend:

14.2 lb packer brisket, low choice grade and untrimmed (43.3%)
    10.2 lb chuck roast (31.1%)
    8.4lb short rib meat (25.6%)
    Last edited by 58limited; September 15, 2020, 07:55 PM.

Comment

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      Gawd man!!

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      I've never seen a chuck roast for sale that big! Wow.

• 58limited
      58limited commented
      Editing a comment
      I bought two, the total weight came to 10.2lbs. There were four packs of short ribs too.

For me, it's the fat to lean ratio that is important, and I want at least 20% fat. The point on the prime briskets I get at Costco seem to be 20% +, and the trimmed flats are much less. But since there a lot of fat on top of the brisket, You can easliy weigh lean and fat to get your desired mix.

Comment

The thin end of the flat tends to dry out when Smoked whole so I trim a few to several inches off that end of the packer. Just be sure to peel/trim off any silver skin, as it likes to bind up the grinder.

there is plenty of clean fat trimmed from the brisket that you can cube it all up to fit the grinder chute, get the weight mix you want, then grind it all together.

Comment

I’ve done a bunch of brisket. Usually they are about 2-3 weeks into a wet age before Sophia says "I need hamburger meat from the store when you go." Or I buy choice at smart n final.

Huskee No need to weigh it. them suckers are fatty Untrimmed. If it starts to look to much like meat I’ll pull some chunkage from the freezer and add it to the pool.

Jerod got me hooked on grinding whole briskee a long while back.

the stuff is good.

Comment

• Polarbear777
          Polarbear777 commented
          Editing a comment
          For a while brisket was cheaper than even ground beef. Makes sense then to get extra brisket for burgers.

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Polarbear777 It is now again in my neck of the woods, not so the middle part of this summer. Beautiful thing when brisket's cheaper than burger.

• Santamarina
          Santamarina commented
          Editing a comment
          Polarbear777 My local Costco always has Prime brisket for less than ground beef. In fact, other than a rare super sale, it’s the cheapest beef anywhere around me. Usually around $3.60/lb for Prime brisket.

This is a timely post as I purchased a brisket flat (choice) while at Costco a while back. My issue was whether to cook it whole or grind it. My boys have raved about a brisket burger we had a while back at a celebratory dinner. It doesn't appear to have enough fat cap to call it 80/20, so would an extra chuck roast solve that? Ask the butcher for some extra fat?

Also, this seems like a dumb question, but is the conversion of pre-ground weight transfer to ground weight? It's really just a curiosity thing, I'm sure if there is loss, it is negligible.......

Comment

• HouseHomey
          HouseHomey commented
          Editing a comment
          A little will get caught during the grind but you wouldn’t be able to eat that anyhow. Yes the weight transfers in general. Any fat you prefer would be good. The butcher may have some extra. Honestly some leaner burgers if cooked well are seriously beefy.

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          I used a few pounds of bacon mixed into some lean beef one time to make burgers... may not be "kosher" but that could be a good source of fat to go with the flat.

Do you use the hard fat between the flat and point when grinding for burgers or does that stuff just get tossed?

Comment

• HouseHomey
          HouseHomey commented
          Editing a comment
          I grind the whole darn thing other than the obvious that will clog up the cutter n such.

au4stree jumbo7676
        I (Sophia) just happens to have two packs of ground Briskee out. She likes 1lbs packs for "recipes" n such so I account for Yield.

it freezes so well and has great flavor. The pics don’t look super fatty but it’s in there and delicious.

Click image for larger version

Name:	8CFE4490-89E0-480B-A179-3A28736994D9.jpeg
Views:	417
Size:	138.5 KB
ID:	911959

Click image for larger version

Name:	0392B2C5-80BA-4FAE-8732-DC66100C2E40.jpeg
Views:	390
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	911960
        Last edited by HouseHomey; September 16, 2020, 02:58 PM. Reason: Forgot to load pics.

Comment

• au4stree
          au4stree commented
          Editing a comment
          I’m going to grind it, will report back after I cook the burgers.

Huskee I can not change your mind. What I can attempt is context. Filet Mignon is an expensive cut right? Lobster prized right? Both are meh.. and one is a sea roach.

It’s all just food. If i invited you to dine in during service and I served you a burger but never told you it was brisket, I think I can make you a good one that you’d enjoy greatly.

It’s hard to do things like that though when you’ve grown accustomed to expectations.

Think of how fast you and the troop can crush a briskee. Think of how many fabulous burgers you can get of variety with a great brisket grind. The possibility are endless.

I think you can do it if you start with your favorite "flavor profile" (see what I did there) to break the ice. You just need motivation and an open mind. You can do it.
        Last edited by HouseHomey; September 16, 2020, 10:12 PM.

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          It involves, not nacho cheese as I too expected before ordering...but nacho cheese Doritos...jalapenos, pepper jack cheese, and others. WAYYYYYY better than it sounds. To me it sounded like drunk college kid food. Nope, it's AWESOME. Even my mom & dad love it, and they are not the adventurous type (at all). Will share soon!

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Nacho Burger??? Juice is already runnin down my chin whiskers!!!

Stayin Tuned, Huskee

• BFlynn
          BFlynn commented
          Editing a comment
          Where do I sign up for the nacho burgers?

I never really thought about the price comparison, but right now in the Lou brisket is cheaper than ground beef by two bucks - so why not pick a fat one and grind it up?

Comment

• HouseHomey
          HouseHomey commented
          Editing a comment
          I’ve always don’t that with larger cuts. Brisket was the last one a while bag that I tried. Good stuff. Look for the sirloin tip roast. Very beefy. Don’t overlook the "round" either, such a soft silky texture great for delicate meatballs or mixed with something from the forequarter like brisket point.

Today’s report on the brisket burgers. I did the grind on Friday, froze all the grinder parts and chilled the brisket prior to grinding. I used my larger die (that came with my Kitchen Aid kit)to grind the brisket. In hindsight, for burgers, I’ll use the medium die to do that. However, the larger die is perfect for the leftover grind I’m going to use in chili. Either way, I pattied them up, 5-6 oz. patties. Cooked on my cast iron griddle on the Primo XL. Seasoned with Dalmatian rub. Served on bakery fresh onion rolls, yellow mustard, dill pickles and purple onion and a slice of Colby/jack cheese. They were delicious, my mom/dad were in town and they raved about them. Definitely opened a new world to me, I’ve never ground my own meat before. Thanks to all for the advice, both in this thread and in others I searched.

Lessoned learned: Cut meat into smaller chunks BEFORE grinding. Take pictures, it really helps tell the story.....

Comment

Originally posted by SmokingPat View Post
          I bought a packer brisket, and I'd like to grind part of it for burgers (for cooking at another time.) But I don't know what part(s) to use. Do I use the flat? The flat plus fat trimmings? The point? Part of each?
          Cube it up, fat and all, and mix up all the meat, as you want a good blend of fat, so mix point and flat and fat up good, in chunks small enough to feed into your meat grinder.

Comment

Other than using points for burnt ends, this is the only thing I do with briskets any more. Just not a fan of them. I'd much rather do a chuck or some plate ribs than bother with a brisket. Brisket burgers OTOH, I love! For normal burgers I usually try for 80/20 and for smash burgers 70/30.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here