Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SNF Ribeyes question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SNF Ribeyes question

I stumbled upon these at a local grocery store chain here. Plus they happened to be on sale. I had no idea they carried these anywhere here. I know not all locations carry them. It just must be in the more wealthier areas of town.

So since I've never done them my question is do these benefit from dry brining? I plan on doing the reverse sear like normal ribeyes. Anything else I should do differently from choice or prime ribeyes?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200905_170759.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	906226

Oh yeah, dry brine. Watch them like a hawk when searing. Those don't really look to be true "Wagyu", well usually American isn't, they look more like a really good Prime to me. But Wagyu has really soft fat and LOTS of it and can lead to some unwanted flames in a quick hurry so I recomemnd searing them on cast iron not over flame. I think you'll be ok here.

Comment

• Rod
      Rod commented
      Editing a comment
      Good point on the fat induced flammage. I sometimes do the searing on my gasser with grill grates rather use a bunch of charcoal for just a few minutes. I'll make sure I do that with these.

Either dry brine or salt right before going on the grill. I'd dry brine for at least a couple of hours. They'll probably cook a bit faster than prime, and honestly, I'd go a bit more rare than I would for prime.

Also, I'm really damn jealous right now.

Comment

• Rod
      Rod commented
      Editing a comment
      Noted. Can't believe the price. On the way home I looked at SNF online price and it was $89 for one of these.

We get these at my local Ralph’s. Dry brine 3-4 hours before and then season with your favorite steak rub minus salt 30 minutes before putting on the grill. I use AR BBBR. They come out delicious. I front sear though. I don’t find they cook any faster or slower.

Comment

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow! At Ralph’s? Not here.

• TripleB
      TripleB commented
      Editing a comment
      HouseHomey - yes lad, it’s a privilege of being a high lander.

My grocery store has them as well for a similar price. Just treat them like any high quality steak. It’s American wagyu so it’s not like it’s Japanese A5. Essentially it’s just a really fantastic regular steak. Keep it simple and cook it how you usually do.

Comment

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      Yu

They look amazing, and so does the price. I wonder if of "Wagyu" is worth the cost over choice, prime, or Angus?

Comment

• Rod
      Rod commented
      Editing a comment
      I've wondered that myself and thus have been reluctant to spend $90 for one. Since I found these at this price it was a no brainier. Guess I'll find out in just a few hours.

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      Without question.

• Mosca
      Mosca commented
      Editing a comment
      They aren’t worth it as a once a week think, but they are definitely worth it for a special occasion.

I have cooked a boatload of those. The quality of the meat is not just the marbling.

Those are fabulous steaks!! What I don’t care for or what I really love is when they are vac sealed. Hopefully they have not sat out a while in That packaging.

you can take those all the way up to medium on a medium heat and develop a crust, they will be great.

also hot n fast is AWESOME. Quality meat if cooked properly will be great. That product is quality meat.

My favorite is the cast iron as Huskee said 👆

happy eating, I’m jealous.

Comment

• Rod
      Rod commented
      Editing a comment
      They actually didn't have any in the display case. So they cut fresh ones for me.

I like doing these with the continuous flip method over a really hot fire. I just keep on flipping these until they are at about 125 F, and then I let them rest on the cutting board for about 10 mins before slicing. I also try to trim off any fat that is on the side of the meat to make sure I don't get those curled up edges of gristle than most people do not care for.

Comment

• Rod
      Rod commented
      Editing a comment
      Spinaker So cook hot and fast from start to finish?

Well they were super good. Other than dry brining the night before, I just applied fresh ground pepper right before the sear. I normally use cow crust or carne crosta, but figured for my first time with American wagyu I wanted to just taste the beef as is. Will definitely do these again whenever they go on sale. Though they were quite good, Costco prime ribeyes are every bit as good. Maybe with the above rubs it will put them over the top. Great lunch! Thanks for the tips everyone.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200906_120127.jpg Views:	0 Size:	561.9 KB ID:	906660

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200906_120315.jpg Views:	0 Size:	546.0 KB ID:	906661 ​
    image widget

Comment

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      That looks fantastic!

I did a couple American Waygu boneless ribeyes a couple weeks ago. I Sous Vide them and finished with a sear on a blazing hot grill. Really good. But I agree that if you take your time looking over the prime steaks at Costco, and pick some good ones, they are just as good and a LOT less expensive.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here