Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is "Blue, Pittsburgh"? (Not a riddle)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is "Blue, Pittsburgh"? (Not a riddle)

My AR Food Temperature Guide just arrived and the first listing under Beef, Lamb, etc. is 'Blue, "Pittsburgh". I have never heard of that and would appreciate someone (from Pennsylvania?) explaining it, please.

Blue (bleu) is more or less, a steak cooked like you would tuna. Very quick sear each side and raw or very near raw in the center.

Never had Pittsburgh style so had to look that up and it appears to be the same, but maybe a higher heat. The cooking description looks more or less like Black and Bleu I used to cook at a restaurant I worked at.
    Last edited by ItsAllGoneToTheDogs; August 28, 2020, 10:55 AM.

Comment

Pittsburgh steak is "black and blue," black on the outside, blue (i.e. raw) on the inside.

Comment

Seems there is almost "legend" status as to where this style started, but makes sense to me.
        Last edited by au4stree; August 28, 2020, 12:32 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Thanks for your explanations. I'll pass on trying it!

Comment

For several years after my divorce in 2004, I ate dinner at a family Manhattan steakhouse practically every Thursday night, usually with the same, or nearly so, group of friends. One of the guys, when he ordered steak (which wasn't always), used to order it "black and blue (bleu?)" I never understood it. I like my beef pretty darn rare, but it needs to be at least warm in the middle.

​​​​​​My characature on the wall of that steakhouse:
            Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1426034486412.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	902687

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here