Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tenderstrip / Teres Major on the PK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenderstrip / Teres Major on the PK

My local butcher has the good stuff every now and then. I managed to get hold of a WX (Wagyu/Angus crossbreed) tenderstrip, and it was AWESOME! This is a cut that is also known as Teres Major, it is located on the scapula (shoulder blade), and attaches between that and the humerus on a cow. This one was very well marbled and ridiculously tasty.

Since this is a perfect example of a steak I figured my PK TX should get the honor. So I fired it up with some B&B charcoal. I didn't need much, as the steak was just 400 grams / 14 oz. Either way, no wood chunks were used. I cooked it reverse sear. Yes, it isn't that thick, but it's was 1.5-2 inches at the thickest, so I figured reverse sear is the best way to cook this.

I applied a liberal amount of my Hank's Signature Steak Rub, and not to toot my own horn, but that was a real good match. I had the steak on indirect heat, with the grill running at 150° C / 300° F for 20-25 minutes. I then moved it over for the sear, and that took 1-2 minutes max.

I let it rest 5-8 minutes, which I think is important, and then sliced it up. Man, that was some of the best steak I've had in a very long time. MUST see if I can buy more, 'cause this was just ridiculous.

It's fun when you can find a steak on the front quarter of the animal. Most cuts lend themselves better to low 'n slow cooking, but the flat iron steak and this one, tenderstrip, are exceptions.

Fancy a slice?

Here's the raw tenderstrip, check out the marbling

Click image for larger version

Name:	tenderstrip-1.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	544.8 KB
ID:	896065

The steak, with rub applied

Name:	tenderstrip-3.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	539.9 KB
ID:	896063

The steak after resting

Name:	tenderstrip-4.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	317.3 KB
ID:	896062

Some of the slices

Name:	tenderstrip-6.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	146.1 KB
ID:	896064

I did good, didn't I? Internal temp was 54° C / 129° F

Teres major is so friggin delicious! that one looks amazing...not that id expect anything less from you.

How are you liking the PK?

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm lovin' it! Just wish I could fit a brisket on there, but it's gonna be a stretch. Except for that, awesome!

You did good and I'm glad the pics showed. Again a remarkable example of a great job accomplished.

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks brother.

Wow. Just the post I needed. I have a package of three of these in the freezer and wasn't really sure of the best way to cook them. They are waygu/black angus crossbreed from A bar N Ranch and not cheap so I wanted to sure I did them correctly. You have now solved that issue. Thanks!

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      You are absolutely gonna love it!!

Love me some teres major. Easily one of my favorite cuts and yours looks pretty much perfect.

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks 🙏!

I get the from Porter Road. Very tasty. Yours looks amazing!

Comment

Never had it. What is it similar to in texture and flavor? Tri-Tip, NY Strip, Flank, Filet, Cap Steak, Rib Eye, Flat Iron....

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        This cut was just like a beef tenderloin in texture. The flavor was more like flat iron steak or hanger steak in flavor. Just awesome.

• TripleB
        TripleB commented
        Editing a comment
        Ohhhh...that sounds good. I have a friend that owns a restaurant. I'll check with him to see if his distributor has tenderstrip or teres major. Thanks

Man, that looks good. You keep adding stuff to my list to try.

Comment

The Swedish pitmaster does it again. Pulling a teres major out of his box of tricks this time..... Thanks for sharing. Jist had your beef rub on some wiener snchitzel to liven it up. Very good indeed..

Comment

• HawkerXP
          HawkerXP commented
          Editing a comment
          no pictures............

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          Awesome, great to hear!

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here