Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grind seasonings in with burger?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grind seasonings in with burger?

Has anyone ever blended the seasonings right in when grinding the meat? I’m new to grinding my own burgers, but I ground some chuck roast in the blender last week, and it was amazing! So I bought a hand-crank grinder, and I have some grocery store ribeye (2lbs) left over,.. supposed to be choice, but honestly, the marbling is non-existent, looks & tastes like select or below...only ended up with it because the case steaks looked ok, so I had them cut me 2” thick steaks, didn’t see the lack of marbling until I got home.
    Anyway, I now have 2 lbs of lean ribeye, and plenty of fat trimmings that I’m going to grind up for burger. I’m planning to grind it up with the new hand grinder tonight, along with extra fat. I’d like to do half with pepper, garlic, onion... and the other half with that plus Italian seasoning. I’ve always put the seasoning in (except the salt) when I make the patties, but now I’m thinking about adding the seasoning when I grind it, then the salt when I grill them.
    Has anyone tried this?

I haven't, only when pattying them, but it makes sense to. You can salt patties ahead of time too like you would a steak, just not recommended to mix salt in the patty. But honestly with burgers it doesn't matter much, you bite the whole thickness of the patty so where the salt is is largely a moot point.

Comment

• patcrail
      patcrail commented
      Editing a comment
      It does seem like mixing the salt in could mess with the moisture/texture of the meat??? Not sure, but I’ve been going with MH’s recipe for steakhouse burgers, and salting right before searing.... so far so good!

Huskee thats kinda what I was thinking... I always salt separate anyway, but see no reason why the pepper, onion, garlic couldn’t go in when grinding... I’m not making large quantities for storing (that might change the equation??), but just doing a pound at a time to cook same day... I just ground up a pound of ribeye with some fat thrown in, but no seasoning, so maybe I’ll try it next time

Comment

Howdy, Brother!

Seasonins work great; salt, not so much...

When I tried it, it gave th raw meat a unpleasant, mushy kinda feel, an th resultin burgers were WAY Dense...
      Last edited by Mr. Bones; August 13, 2020, 04:41 PM.

Comment

Mr. Bones yeah, brother, I had a feeling salt would screw them up! I only salt when I pull off indirect to sear... If I was doing thinner burgers (not reverse sear), I’d salt right before cooking! I didn’t try the rest of the seasoning this time before making patties, but next time I will (pepper, onion, garlic, mustard powder)... mixed in just after grinding this time,
        and 1/3rd pound patties were awesome

Comment

In the works
          Attached Files

Comment

Bobby Flay says that seasoning goes on the outside. We're not making meatloaf burgers.

But that doesn't mean it won't be tasty

Comment

• patcrail
              patcrail commented
              Editing a comment
              BFlynn I used to only season on the outside, & only salt & pepper, until I tried MH’s Steakburger recipe, adding onion & garlic and folding it into the patties... very small amount, so no meatloaf effect, just more of a umami boost

• BFlynn
              BFlynn commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm not saying to listen to Bobby Flay either.

That's just a phrase that stuck with me.

I've tried seasoning burgers both ways but prefer seasoning the outside only.
            My wife wanted Celion Dion burgers, she mixes oregano and thyme into her ground beef for burgers.
            They were no better than most of her music.
            I find the patties fall apart more easily on the grill when whatever is added. Maybe its just me.

Comment

• patcrail
              patcrail commented
              Editing a comment
              I used to feel the same, but tried MHs Steakhouse burgers the last couple weeks, and the smaller amount of pepper/onion/garlic folded in seems perfect... no issues before (only 1/4 tsp each for a pound)
              Last edited by patcrail; August 14, 2020, 12:16 PM.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here