Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need Help with New Burnt Ends Recipe, Hopefully Using Max Good's Sauce?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Help with New Burnt Ends Recipe, Hopefully Using Max Good's Sauce?

So, I just stuffed two Costco prime briskets into the new meat freezer in the basement and all is well in the world.

I am planning the next cook, and I'd like to do burnt ends, but I'd like to make them special for my wife, who does not like them sweet. I recognize that may be the whole point of burnt ends with the richness and sweet sticky flavor, but I'm never one to shy away from a challenge. She loves my brisket though.

Typically, when I do burnt ends, I add rub, Coke/Dr. Pepper, sugar, honey, soy sauce, Worcester sauce, and BBQ sauce and a few other things. I don't do it exactly this way, but the ingredient list is close: https://jesspryles.com/recipe/best-e...et-burnt-ends/ .

I believe the Coke, the brown sugar, and the BBQ sauce are probably adding the most sweetness. I use Killer Hogs rub, so I don't feel like that is an issue, because the brisket itself is fine.

Currently, I'm thinking that maybe using a spicy BBQ sauce like Max Good 's Beso del Fuego would be a good idea. I've wanted to try it, so this feels like a good opportunity. I'm also leaning towards perhaps just leaving out the brown sugar and Coke, but would appreciate alternatives that would not add sweetness but new flavors. What do you think? Maybe I throw in some jalapenos or peppers in with the burnt ends?

I usually use root beer when smoking but that's green apple red apple.
    Look up Hanks rubs, he has some very unique rubs, which I can't get....GRRRR....would satisfy your quest for new flavors

Comment

I did pork butt burnt ends last week.

​​​​​​Used MMD and POG for the rub.
      HEB brand kentucky bourbon bbq sauce.
      Some brown sugar and some butter.

They were tasty but a little sweet for my taste. I will probably use less brown sugar next time and/or a less sweet sauce.

I'm all for adding jalapeños to anything!
      You could make a Texas mop sauce instead, and that would cut the sweetness and add some heat.

Comment

You might be able to get Maull's around the Chicago area - it's from St Lou. You can certainly get it online. Maull's claims to be America's FIRST bbq sauce, and the original isn't sweet - 'tangy' would be a good description. There are also many sweet and/or smoky flavors offered, as well as jalapeño and a 'simmering heat'.

The pits in the Lou, obviously many offer their own sauces, but many also offer Maull's on the menu too. It's a local thing.

I'd try a non-sweet sauce, without adding Coke and brown sugar. Happy wife, happy life.

(okay, I admit it, I use the original flavor for my burnt ends)

Comment

You're on the right track with Black Swan! https://blackswancompany.com/
          Our Beso Del Fuego has heat, flavor and aroma. Made with fresh pureed vegetables including fresh jalapenos and habaneros. Black Swan is sweet, but not too sweet like the syrupy, mass produced brands. PLEASE give it a try and let me know what you think!
          And check this out:
          Last edited by Max Good; August 13, 2020, 11:14 AM.

Comment

• Max Good
            Max Good commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks! You in the Chicago area?

• STEbbq
            STEbbq commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, we are in Geneva.

• Max Good
            Max Good commented
            Editing a comment
            Beautiful town!

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here