Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Close To Katz Goof?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Close To Katz Goof?

I'm working on the Close to Katz Pastrami. I must have confused recipes. I'm using a premade/packaged corned beef. To remove some salt, I thought I was supposed to soak the beef in water 24 hours changing the water a few times. Now that I reread the recipe, ooops! An 8 hour soak is asked for. Did I pull out too much salt and "corned" flavors from the meat? I'm plowing ahead with the meat seasoned up sitting in the refrigerator until at least Saturday. I'm wondering if I should make any adjustments since I over desalinated the meat. Add salt? Anything else?

As an aside, the package claimed it was a flat. It's part of a brisket, but not a flat. It split in half and now looks like two loins.

I used all of a 1/2 batch of the Close to Katz rub, omitting the onion powder (I hate it/onions) and the coriander seeds (just didn't have them).

I appreciate your thoughts. Cheers!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Matt Bykowski; July 16, 2020, 04:54 AM.

I think you will be fine. I've seen other recipes or comments somewhere where they did a 24 hour soak.

I've tried it twice, the 8 hour soak was perfect, the 14 or so was drier. I think it had to do with the cooking, however, and not so much the soak.

Best of luck, brother!

Comment

• Matt Bykowski
      Matt Bykowski commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, I'm thinking it will be too dry. I guess, I'll find out. Thanks.

I would think you'll be fine. You need to adjust your photo drone to a lower altitude.

Comment

• Matt Bykowski
      Matt Bykowski commented
      Editing a comment
      I was using my drone (JK). Thanks.

your fine. I have an entire brisket from one of our cows in the cure right now to make corned beef, then pastrami

Comment

You'll be fine. Most store bought corned beefs are incredibly salty, so doubt you'll find it pulled out too much salt from 24 hours.

Comment

• Matt Bykowski
        Matt Bykowski commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm hoping, thanks.

You want to know if too salty or too little? Take a sharp knife and cut a small sliver off one edge and fry it. Then taste it.

EDITED TO ADD: Actually, when you begin desalinating a corned beef, probably a good idea to immerse in ice water for an hour or two at a time, changing water each time. Periodically, do the slice, fry and taste routine at water change intervals to determine when it's time to quite soaking and start cooking! I actually picked up this idea from Jeff Phillips on a different BBQ site.
      Last edited by Alabama Smoke; July 16, 2020, 10:26 AM.

Comment

• Matt Bykowski
        Matt Bykowski commented
        Editing a comment
        Good idea. Thanks.

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        And great for us folk who like to hang around with our food while we cook it!

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here