Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket Too Big. Can I cut?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket Too Big. Can I cut?

Have a 17 lb.-er ready to go but probably won't fit well on my Weber. Is it possible/recommended, etc. to cut it in half so it will fit? Not sure how that would work. Suggestions (besides get a bigger pit - which is next...)?

You can separate the point and flat for sure. You can be as precise as you want by separating the muscles or just by taking a knife and cutting it somewhere where the point meats the flat (eyeball it and just cut it). You won’t ruin it either way.

Comment

• LA Pork Butt
      LA Pork Butt commented
      Editing a comment
      I do that all the time and cook on two levels on my BGE.

Prop some wood chunks up under it so it's dome shaped. Otherwise give it the snip...

Comment

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      Ouch....don’t say snip

I'll bet there is a really thin part of the flat that could be trimmed off, and usually do that. It might fit after some aggressive trimming.

Comment

I make my large brisket smaller by trimming the flat off to make it a nice square.

flat can be used in a crockpot recipe, brined for corn beef or mixed with chuck and ground as hamburger

Comment

Two ways: prop it up with wood chunks, after 2-3 hours there’s enough shrinkage to make it fit. Or trim off the thinnest part of the flat.

Comment

or separate the point and flat.

Comment

What size Weber is it going on? I’ve done that size on my 22” kettle often. Just fits. But as others say, trim the thinnest part of the flat to make it fit, or do the wood chunk thing, or an upside down metal bowl under the middle of the brisket until it shrinks.

Comment

If all else fails, as recommended above, then, long story short; just hack that rascal in half, cook it with love, an everthing gonna be otay!

Comment

Thanks gentlemen. Yes, my 22" just barely holds it but it'll do...

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                  Mr. Bones commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Recently had a 19#er, afore trimmin, plan was to kettle it. Physically, that didn't work, ended up on 18.5" WSM, happy ending, but hadda change my game up from original plan.
                  Fortunately, I have a few options to choose from, here.
                  Last edited by Mr. Bones; July 3, 2020, 09:53 PM. Reason: e

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here