Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which option is best way to cook a 2 inch thick med rare steak with a Pittsburgh style char crust?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which option is best way to cook a 2 inch thick med rare steak with a Pittsburgh style char crust?

Reverse sear is the method of choice, but which of these options will produce the best results with a charred surface. Problem arises because I have too many choices.

(a) Cook on a BGE at a lower temp (250-275) to an internal of about 115, then remove steak while cranking up the temp to 650 and sear on each side.

(b) Cook at 225 on a Yoder smoker to 115, then remove steak while increasing the temp to 600 and sear on grill grates, smooth side up.

(c) Same as (b) but char on a BGE.

I have a 2.25 pound Snake River Tomahawk rib eye that I will be cooking tomorrow for an anniversary dinner. My wife loves a charred crust and I usually do (a), but always struggle to keep the temp low, so thought of trying the Yoder. Appreciate any advice.

I would go with A or B, no preference. C seems like doing too much with two grills going.

Comment

Given the info you have provided, then B is the clear choice.

Motivation
      it will keep a consistent low temp
      2. the Grill Grates will provide the ultimate char. You're just not gonna get that on the BGE. And as a bonus,
      3. you will only have to use (and clean) one grill.

Easy peasy
      Last edited by Henrik; June 3, 2020, 04:56 AM. Reason: Fixed spelling error

Comment

I would go with "B" myself. To add another factor, if your bride loves a crusty steak you need to get some Oakridge Carne Crosta Steakhouse Rub. She will love it!

Comment

• barelfly
          barelfly commented
          Editing a comment
          Carne Crosta!!!!!

• ofelles
          ofelles commented
          Editing a comment
          +3

• BBQPhil
          BBQPhil commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks. Looks great. Just ordered it but won't get it in time for this cook.

If the Yoder can really get the grill grates (flat side up) to 650F or so, go with that.

Otherwise you can fire up a full chimney and just sear over that vs firing up the egg.

Comment

I have no idea what a Pittsburgh crust is on a steak as a specific style of cook, but if you want a rare to med-rare steak with a dark crunchy crust, check this thread for ideas -- https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...rn-that-s-cold

Comment

Always sear on grill grates flat side up!

Mine get up to 700 deg. If that doesn't give you enough char, get a blow torch

Comment

Like others said, go the Yoder Route so you can control the temps easier and keep it low so you don’t over shoot. Then sear that sucker up. I’m not familiar with the Yoder and the time it would take to get to 600*, but the rest during that time will drop the temp a bit and let you get a nice char with out over shooting.

And like JP7794 mentioned, Oak Ridge BBQ Carne Crosta.....

Comment

I know it's not an option, but I have had success with cast iron over one of the 60,000 BTU burners of my camp chef outdoor range. Why outdoors...lots of smoke

Comment

B seems like the best option.

Comment

Thanks for all your advice. Will go with option B and post the results. Love the help you can get in this community.

Comment

I would actually front sear it if you want that big char crust. Less chance of you taking it over while waiting for the char to get to where you want it. Personally, i have been front searing a lot more than reverse searing recently.

Comment

What I don’t see mentioned here is plan D or E fer that matter & that is in a CI skillet. You can achieve a whale of a crust/sear bathed in butter or duck fat afterwords.

Comment

Send it to me, I’ll let ya know!

Comment

• Spinaker
                            Spinaker commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Classic Pit master move!

B, with the additional steps of drying on a rack/with paper towels while waiting for the GG's to heat up then apply a thin coat of avocado or similar oil to both side before searing.

Comment

• N227GB
                            N227GB commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Rendered beef tallow works very well too and also adds flavor.

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here