Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Frozen beef ?is that really damaging the meat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frozen beef ?is that really damaging the meat?

Hi to all, as I live in Costa Rica, I can't find USDA beef "fresh" all I can find are either frozen cuts or whole pice frozen as well... local beef is not as good in intramuscular fat, or quality, will a good freezing food affect so much quality?

Nah, we have farm raised beef that is frozen and it is more than fine. I cook store bought briskets from fresh and frozen and they all come out fine. There is some damage but quality is quality for the most part.

Comment

If your local meat is lacking in quality, I think the frozen "good stuff" will still be a lot better.

Comment

When I buy frozen meat, I don't want to see a lot of ice crystals in the package. And I do not want to see areas that are pale and dry looking (freezer burn). These are signs that the meat may have partially thawed then refrozen, or it's older meat that's been in the freezer a long time, or it hasn't been wrapped properly to exclude air.

Freezing does damage the cells, but I agree with the fellas that it is the better choice. I would rather buy frozen meat that's of higher quality than fresh meat that's not as good in quality.

Comment

I usually don't buy frozen meat, but will freeze it pretty often. With a family of 5, if I can get good cuts on sale, I'm taking advantage of it. I will always remove the meat from the foam/plastic wrap it tends to come in and re-wrap in plastic wrap and then foil. Though, when I do buy frozen meat, I will at least wrap it in foil then freeze it. I have bought cuts of frozen chuck before and I never thought it suffered any flavor/moisture loss.

Comment

If done right the degradation is minimal.

Comment

I use frozen beef a lot. When I find deals, or buy from Costco, the quantity is too much, so I par freeze and then vacuum wrap. I do notice with beef, upon thawing, there is a lot of red liquid in the bag that gets thrown out; I've always kinda thought that has to be taking juice out of the meat, so I consider it to be some damage...but minor. I prefer to cook it fresh, but it just is not always practical for me. Truly though - if cooked with care, I really can't tell the difference. Like others have said, good quality frozen would beat out poor quality fresh.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here