Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beef, French to American: paleron?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beef, French to American: paleron?

I’m trying to figure out what paleron is. I understand it is a top blade steak. And that is also a flatiron steak. Like, sort of; cut from different parts of the same muscle, or something. Is this also the teres major? Can I get a top blade roast instead of top blade steaks?

Watch this video and he shows you the flat Iron and allso the Denver steak.
    Meathead needs to talk to these guys about adding videos and wild game recipes.
    Last edited by Ahumadora; April 20, 2020, 11:34 AM.

Comment

• Hulagn1971
      Hulagn1971 commented
      Editing a comment
      I love Denver steak. It has become one of my favorites within the last year.

• Greygoose
      Greygoose commented
      Editing a comment
      I could binge watch these vids
      Outstanding info

• 58limited
      58limited commented
      Editing a comment
      They sure make it look easy, don't they? It would take me all day to break down a front quarter.

Yes, the paleron is the same muscle as the top blade. In the US, we cut the chuck into roasts or steaks, across the scapula. If you look at what are often called "blade chuck roasts" you can see the slightly flattened muscle above the scapula. In France, butchers cut the shoulder a little differently, so they separate that muscle from the scapula in its entirety and call it the paleron. Same thing with pork butts -- in the US we cut them into pork steaks across the scapula, French butchers cut along the scapula to separate the paleron.

My stepdad was a butcher so I used to work in the shop. When I moved to France it took me a while to recognize that I was seeing the same muscle, just cut in a different direction.
    Last edited by RobertC; April 21, 2020, 09:41 AM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here