Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steak on a Single Burner Grill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steak on a Single Burner Grill

I purchased a little Weber Q1000 grill for travel and am wondering if anyone has any tips for grilling a ribeye or two? I usually cook on the cool side of the grill until near temp then finish it on the hot side. Since this one only has one burner, there's not a hot & cool side. I'm thinking cook with a low burner then turn it up to finish. Any thoughts out there?

My advice would be stick with steaks that are less than 1.5 inches thick, so that you can just do them hot and fast. The typical grocery store steak that is 0.75 to 1 inch thick is not really a reverse sear candidate anyway.

If you find yourself with a thicker steak, maybe set the burner as low as possible, and a trick I used to use on my old gas grill, when using it to cook turkey or ham, is to put a sheet of heavy duty foil or a pan under the cooking grate, on top of the flavorizer bars, to block direct heat from the burners and create an indirect zone. Just leave a gap around the foil so that heat comes up around the perimeter of the grill, or do it on one side, to create a somewhat indirect zone.
    Last edited by jfmorris; April 3, 2020, 02:30 PM.

Comment

I have a Weber Q. I don't know the number right off hand but all the Q's are the same except for the size. jfmorris is right on with his advice except the Q's have no flavorizer bars. At least the one I have doesn't. And the Q is not built for low/slow. I do steaks as high as the grill will go. I have occasionally done a few well in excess of 1". I found that I need to stand right there with my Thermopen, in one hand and tongs in the other and turn the steaks frequently, two or maybe three times or more to keep from charring before it hits your IT. Stay on top of it and it can give you a pretty good steak.

I have not tried cooking on low heat up front and then searing. I might have to give that a try. If you do let us know how it turns out. Good luck

Comment

Thank you jfmorris and wu7y for your responses. Cook on high heat is what Weber recommends. They also say to grill with the lid on. Is that how you cook wu7y, or do you leave the lid off? I will give it a try with the heat and when I get home with the thermometers, I will try a low heat cook so I can see what the grill is doing

Comment

Can you SV? You could do thicker ones if you SV first then sear to your liking.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Oooohhhh, very good plan, SV could really shine, here!

• SparkDog
            SparkDog commented
            Editing a comment
            That would be one way to approach it but I bought this little grill for travel. I don’t think I can make it work while traveling

I was going to put this in a comment but I ran out of room. I've read what Weber says, but it's kinda hard to watch the steak with the lid closed. But I do think having the lid closed will help keep steak jucier.

I will let it run for a couple of minutes on one side under cover, turn and do the other with the lid down for a couple of minutes. I then check the IT and from then on it's a bit like Zen. Depending on thickness, marbling, ambient temperature, wind, and all of the other stuff we "pitmasters" have to deal with you will sort of know when to turn it, check it again without really having an objective reason. After screwing up a steak or two you will know. And I screwed up more than one or two before I got it. During the Wyoming winter it's still a crapshoot after all these years. Good luck. I think you will like the grill.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here