Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket hold question for next day serving, repeatable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you are going to do the early morning start I suggest brisket tacos for the early birds. I used to live on Brisket taco's from Rudys (183 in Austin). There will be alot of ends and crumbs that can be made into tacos easily. Check out Black bear BBQ in Sydney for some breakfast ideas.

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Cool, thanks for a creative idea. Have never heard of brisket tacos, but it sure sounds good!

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      Rudy's or Dickie's are the two best CHAIN BBQ joints I have found to date.

• Santamarina
      Santamarina commented
      Editing a comment
      Troutman The Rudy’s in Katy was my first experience with Texas barbecue!

This is the way I do my meats on my food truck. Not all the time, but some of the time. (I use different methods when crunched for time)
    my pork shoulders I sometimes sv them, then ice bath them then freeze. (Usually a week in advance). I take them out a 2 days in advance to start the thaw process in the fridge. Not to exceed 2 days. I will then smoke em the night before.
    my briskets, I smoke the night before. Now I did an test when I got the sv and while the pork didn’t taste much different (people actually preferred it the above method more than just smoking and serving), I noticed the brisket actually tasted better than smoked and served.
    now if I’m in a hurry, I found you can smoke em, then vacuum them, ice bath em, then freeze em.
    again I take em out no more than 2 days ahead of the event to start to thaw. The night before the event, I put them back into the sv for 6 hours and get the temp up to 160. Then I transfer them to my hot box/ proofer that is up to 180 on my food truck. (The unit is 6 ft tall electric unit that can hold 30 or 40 full size baking trays. I bought it brand new off of Facebook market)
    when I get to my events the food is still hot and ready to slice and serve. Each event I go to I get inspected by the health dept(temp readings of the food etc) and have not failed, nor will I be. Some of the inspectors were really impressed with how I have set it up (some said it was a great idea. I keep the meats in the hot box then pull out a brisket and slice a portion, then put into a steam table. I repeat as needed. It saves a lot of time. Here is a pic of a brisket that I just pulled out of the hot box and sliced
    Click image for larger version  Name:	30474C1D-DEE5-450E-9C28-FEF78483449A.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.29 MB ID:	798395 now if ya look at the hunk, you can see the juice still dripping.
    the meat holds well with the hot box. I can go 10 plus hours and not have to worry about compromising the texture of the brisket
    here is a pic of the hot box/warmer
    Click image for larger version  Name:	80D30FDC-C806-4CD3-B9C0-5466D4B15977.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.26 MB ID:	798394Click image for larger version  Name:	CBFBCD58-D896-42FB-A5F3-4AAA9BD00FD6.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.27 MB ID:	798397
    Now it doesn’t look like a lot of meat in side, but here is a pic of the meat before I cooked it when I did an event back in August last year
    Click image for larger version  Name:	C357FBB6-AB54-4E5D-9B6D-EAE0F6CE2784.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.17 MB ID:	798396
    Last edited by Nuke em; February 1, 2020, 07:19 AM.

Comment

I know some of y’all people say, ya freeze it before hand. But I do have to say, after it is cooked, it is very good the way I do it. Don’t get me wrong, I love it fresh, but when you work a full time job, then take your food truck out on Saturday and Sunday, then the sv is the way to go. And the thing about is, it does not affect the texture much at all. Every so slightly.
      like I said I did a side by side comparison with the brisket, pork and chicken and out of 50 various people (old neighbors and friends, I was surprised at the results. On some of the meats, they preferred one method Vs the other.
      on another note I truly believe that the bun ya serve it on makes the sandwich. Make sure ya use a bun that holds up to the meat and doesn’t get soggy and fall apart.
      another note. When I do an event, if I haven’t sold out,(which at the end of last year I was), I have found out that I can take the leftovers and ice bath em again and freeze. Now I don’t reuse them on my food truck I just take em to my family and friends or neighbors when we have a get together. I think I have only 1 pork butt in my freezer from last year. That one I’m saving for when I’m to tired to cook during the work week.

Comment

• MartinNC
        MartinNC commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you much for your input. I am super close to pulling the trigger on a truck or food trailer. I have another job also, so I am really looking for different ways to serve good bbq without killing myself in the process. how long does it take a thawed brisket to heat past 140 with SV? What size sv circulator are you using, I assume in a large cooler?

I put mine in the water bath for 4-6 hours after thawed. I have to pull them out with a pair of tongs.
      for that big cook back in August, I was using a large white Coleman cooler. (126? Can) cooler. But since then I purchased the Coleman party stackers and drilled a hole in the top of the lids. I have 2 joules that I purchased last year and love em.
      when I was using the white cooler, I used both of the joules in it to make sure it was keeping the water to temp. Then I turned one off and it maintained it after the meat was a stable temp. With the party stackers with less water, only one joule is needed. You wanna get thru the danger zone as fast as possible.
      they say after you sv, ya wanna eat/freeze before 3 days, so I make sure to do it by 2 instead just to be on the safe side

Comment

• MartinNC
        MartinNC commented
        Editing a comment
        Sounds awesome. Congratulations on your success! I have some smaller cuts already frozen that I think I will SV and experiment with. Thank you for sharing your expertise.

I too like my sleep, so I’m doing fewer overnight cooks. I’ve held brisket for up to 12 hours in a 170°F oven with good results. A proper warming oven that could hold it closer to 140°F would be even better for good, repeatable results and still getting a good nights sleep!

if I were cooking multiple days in a row this is absolutely how I’d do it!

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        PNWsmoke - I just realized I never did a follow-up on this, so not outcome (yet),

• PNWsmoke
        PNWsmoke commented
        Editing a comment
        Santamarina have you tried cooking to around 170 then finishing in hot box overnight?Thanks

• Santamarina
        Santamarina commented
        Editing a comment
        PNWsmoke, I’ve done a couple where I smoke until the bark is set (170-180) then wrapping and finishing in a 250° oven, which gets set to Warm once it’s probe tender.

Def works! As long as it’s in the smoke through the stall until the bark is set, finishing in the oven gets good results.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here