Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Next time I'll ask

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Next time I'll ask

We invited a few new friends over for dinner Sunday. I decided I'd cook a prime rib roast for the occasion. I set up my Kamado with a fresh load of lump and a couple of chunks of pecan. The cook went beautifully, at 125F IT I pulled the deflector plates and soon had it seared beautifully. Basically a reverse sear on a grand scale. At the cutting board there was just the tiniest bit of resistance as the knife went through the crust, then buttery soft pink perfection. To say I was happy would be an understatement. Then it happened, I hear a voice saying is there any that is not pink. Even the ends were pink just under the surface, a master piece of beef perfection. The next thing I know I have 4 slices each about 1 1/2 in thick in my no. 14 bsr skillet frying them until no trace of pink can be found in them. While this is going on my center slice is becoming an unappetizing piece of room temperature beef. Every one loved it when it came out of the skillet, but I was almost ill. Next time I will ask "how done do you prefer your beef".

That's a cryin' shame, but I learned that lesson the hard way too...

Comment

Comment

This is when you might have sliced a hunk off first and sous vided it to well done, followed by it a quick sear after you're finished searing the gorgeous med rare/rare roast for the rest of you.

I gave up trying to reverse sear for two or three different meat temp requests at the same time. Do it once and do it beautifully, I coach myself. So steaks requested for more doneness go into the hot tub for a swim and subsequent sear. That way everyone's happy.

I feel your pain, Oak Smoke .

Kathryn
        Last edited by fzxdoc; January 21, 2020, 09:52 AM.

Comment

• Oak Smoke
          Oak Smoke commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you Kathryn. I will look into getting a good sous vide set up. I've been thinking about one for a while. Like so many of us I pride myself on the quality of the steak in my freezer. To cook it well done just kills me. I may just resort to chicken in the future. I think it takes some skill to get it just right and everyone likes it that way.

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, Oak Smoke , smoking chicken for a dinner party does indeed take some finesse, since there are many variables which impact on the timing. But guests love it, because the flavor is so unique--something they cannot duplicate in their kitchens.

Kathryn

• rickgregory
          rickgregory commented
          Editing a comment
          The other way to do this, if you have the time, is to ask each guest what doneness they like, then SV steaks at each doneness, shock cold and refrigerate. Night of the party, warm them in an SV bath that's set to the temp of the least done steak, have drinks... then remove the steaks a sear quickly. That way everyone gets steaks to their preference. But it does require more upfront time and won't work for a "hey, let's have a few people over tonight!" kind of party.

That's the way people are..

Comment

I'd be tempted to reply, "No, they are all pink. I can boil a hot dog for you, but it's going to be pink as well. I do have a box of Cheerios, it's not pink. What would you like?"

Comment

• Oak Smoke
            Oak Smoke commented
            Editing a comment
            Hahaha! That reminds me of the hot dog soup we used to laugh about. It was the water hot dogs had been boiled in, the liquid from mustard that hadn't been shaken, and relish juice. I hadn't thought of that in years, thanks.

• ComfortablyNumb
            ComfortablyNumb commented
            Editing a comment
            Oak Smoke I always called the mustard juice 'mustard sweat'

• texastweeter
            texastweeter commented
            Editing a comment
            ComfortablyNumb I believe the technical term is mustard tears

The only correct reply to a request for well done steak:

Attached Files

Comment

I'd have nuked them. If that's the doneness they want, they don't really know what good, properly cooked beef tastes like, so some time on the microwave isn't going to put them off. :-)

Comment

I feel your pain, when A sister in law comes over I go to the shed and cut a corner off a spare roofing shingle for her.
              So I put her whatever back on the grill to absolutely destroy it while she sits and askes, How can you eat that???? its so red....ugh....
              eww....gross....
              Makes for a pleasant dining experience.
              NOT....

Comment

• Ahumadora
                Ahumadora commented
                Editing a comment
                I think we share the same sister in law. I have to sacrifice a piece for her, so I cremate it totally until it resembles charcoal,

• rickgregory
                rickgregory commented
                Editing a comment
                That's just rude of her. Well done steak is bad enough but whining about how other people eat... See GIF above...

You're a better man than I. If it were me, there would be no "next time" for those particular guests.

Comment

Does it make me a bad person that I actually want the well done steak to turn out like crap, just to prove a point?

Comment

• rickgregory
                  rickgregory commented
                  Editing a comment
                  No. No it doesn't.

• Murdy
                  Murdy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Probably, but I think most of us are with you

piggybacking on fzxdoc's idea...

The other way to do this, if you have the time, is to ask each guest what doneness they like, then SV steaks at each doneness, shock cold and refrigerate. Steaks only take an hour or so to SV to temp, so if you have, say, 3 doneness levels it's maybe 4 hours of time the night before (allowing for the water to come up to the lowest temp, then move up in between 'flights'.

The night of the party, warm them in an SV bath that's set to the temp of the least done steak, have drinks... then remove the steaks a sear quickly. That way everyone gets steaks to their preference. But it does require more upfront time and won't work for a "hey, let's have a few people over tonight!" kind of party.

Comment

I have dipped thin slices of med/rare Tri Tip in very hot Beef Broth for a few seconds. That took the red out yet kept the tenderness and texture. I wonder if that would would work on thicker med/rare Prime Rib?

Comment

• Murdy
                    Murdy commented
                    Editing a comment
                    maybe slice it thinner?

Been down this road many times. The solution is two smaller roasts. Put one on 45 minutes to an hour before the good one.

Comment

I always ask ahead that way I know who’s getting a Bubba burger.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here