Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Delayed pastrami smoking advice requested

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Delayed pastrami smoking advice requested

MH's recipe for pastrami calls for letting the meat set with the rub on it for two days. I had scheduled smoking it Wednesday, but something has came up and I won't be able to smoke it until late Friday night. Any advice on whether I should remove it from the desalination bath today and keep in it a gallon ziplock and add the rub on Wed/Thursday or should I go ahead and rub it now and let it set for 4 days instead of 2?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4718.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	145.3 KB
ID:	78912 Since I haven't had any responses to this I decided to error on the side of caution and just pulled the CB from the water bath and slipped it into a gallon ziplock. I'll add the rub Wednesday night and smoke it Friday night. I'll post pics as I go through the process.
    Last edited by Dr ROK; April 20, 2015, 09:29 PM.

Comment

Dr ROK it wont hurt to have it sit with rub on it for 4 days. Assuming the meat is good for that long, the rub will not hurt it. In fact, Meathead says "a minimum of 2 days."

Comment

• Dr ROK
        Dr ROK commented
        Editing a comment
        Do you think it would dry too much if left uncovered for 4 days?

Dr ROK, I don't know. Maybe let it go 2 days unwrapped, then wrap it until you smoke it? I have never gone that long to know. When I've done mine I've always wrapped it just because I didn't want a dry barky crust on mine. But I do know Meathead recommends leaving it unwrapped the 2 days. Experiment & let us know how 4 days turns out!

Comment

• Dr ROK
        Dr ROK commented
        Editing a comment
        OK, Huskee, I'll do some experimenting for the good of the cause. After all, I think it was Ernest that posted one time. "Relax, it's only food." I need to adopt that mantra on a more consistent basis. I tend to be a bit anal about end products. If it's too dry, I can always use it for corned beef hash. Love that stuff anyway.

I did put it in a ziplock last night, but when I get home from work tonight I'm going to go ahead and rub it up and let it set uncovered till Friday night. That'll be 4 days uncovered. I'll post updates as I go. Thanks for the help!

It ended up being 4 1/2 days in the fridge before I got around to smoking the pastrami. The final product was very good, and I couldn't tell any difference between it and one I'd made prior.

Here's the pastrami taken out of the fridge:

Name:	IMG_4727.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	206.1 KB
ID:	79821

Here's what's left after smoking, steaming, and making rueben sandwiches. It'll make some great pastrami hash, oh yea!

Name:	IMG_4738.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	163.8 KB
ID:	79822

Comment

Nice Dr ROK ! Great to know 4 days works just fine. I have also gone on the opposite end of the spectrum and let the rub sit only 2hrs or so before smoking. I honestly couldn't tell the difference. Maybe side by side I could've, but on separate occasions I couldn't tell.

It's good to know whether you're in a hurry or have plenty of time, 2hrs or 4 days works.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here