Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Frozen brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frozen brisket

So, I bought a 10# packer before Thanksgiving. I ended up not being able to cook it, so I froze it. I know freezing meat can cause mositure loss, so I'm wondering if I need to do anything special to it to keep it from drying out. I was thinking maybe injecting it with some broth might help bring back some moisture that's been lost. I was also thinking maybe wrap it during and after the stall too. Are there any other tricks that I can try out, or is it not that big of a deal?

Thanks

Pull it out of the freezer, spray some water on so your rub sticks and toss it in the pit frozen. Works fine/ You are cooking it to 200f so not worried about the outside turning grey and inside raw. You will also get a good smoke ring this way

Comment

• Backroadmeats
      Backroadmeats commented
      Editing a comment
      I would never have tried this.. or would I ever even remotely argue with you on brisket.. or much else BBQ.. Soo I agree with Ahumadora

I would not worry about it, you are not going to add much moisture by injecting it anyway. I would just throw it on the Pit as Ahumadora mentions.

Comment

I agree no big deal just moisten it and apply your rub. It will just take you a couple of extra hours to smoke it. In that I would take the smoke off a little early so you do not over smoke it. After you have gone through the crutch go ahead and wrap with butcher paper, not foil.

Comment

Let thaw, salt, inject with an injection that has salt and phosphates both, and smoke as normal with a crutch after bark is set and color is right. Basically my normal routine. Do it all the time, no problems.

Comment

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          Ditto for me too. Works great.

K.

• OmegaDog12
          OmegaDog12 commented
          Editing a comment
          @texastweeter..not to hijack this thread, but what is phosphate and salt injection(a brand name, please!) and why would this help. I'm dumb and unfamiliar with this
          The OmegaDog

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          OmegaDog12 I have my home brew I use, but there at many on the market that are just add water. Butchers is a good one. Look for their brisket or Prime injection.

Good question. I'm in a similar situation. I think I'm going to use my small hand drill to create an opening for my probe. 😁

Comment

Hmmm, to thaw, or not to thaw.....

On one hand, I can see thawing the meat out, injecting (maybe from the thawed out juices?), rubbing and grill. On the otherhand, I can see where rubbing and then tossing on the grill would be best too. I think the juices melting off would possibly evaporate on the surface and add to the flavor. So many decisions, but definitely thanks for all of the advice.

Comment

At the end of the day, it's just a brisket. I would give the frozen method a try just for the fun of learning about a different approach. Ahumadora gives some great advice.

Whatever you choose, let us know how it works for you.

FWIW, if you do inject, follow texastweeter 's advice. Something with salt and phosphate may be better than just reinjecting the thawed juices.

Kathryn

Comment

I've frozen briskets before and its never been an issue. I just thawed in the fridge for a day or three, dry brined (or not), and cooked as normal. I've not cooked a brisket from frozen, but have done butts that way, straight out of the deep freeze. It just adds an hour or two to the total time. You don't get the benefit of dry brining, but just wet it, rub it, and smoke it.

Comment

• texastweeter
                texastweeter commented
                Editing a comment
                dry brine and inject it before freezing. Hmmmm....

• jfmorris
                jfmorris commented
                Editing a comment
                texastweeter if I freeze the brisket its most likely going to be in the original cryovac. Sure I have a vacuum sealer, but not large enough to seal up a large packer brisket.

• texastweeter
                texastweeter commented
                Editing a comment
                buy the big bags, drop in the brisket, double seal at a 45° angle as much of one corner as you can, cut off the excess behind that seal. The remainder should fit your sealer, if not, repeat on other corner.

I guess I'm missing something here? I've never had a brisket I didn't need to trim. Did you trim it before you froze it? I've frozen several briskets and had to thaw in the fridge a couple days so I could trim. I too dry brine for at least 24 hours usually 48, to me an absolute must. (My friends and family can't understand why I need a weeks notice for a brisket cook).
              I've never injected a brisket but that's just me. I've also never cooked anything but Costco prime not sure if that matters or not. But as long as I cooked it correctly and didn't rush the cambro rest, I've not seen any difference cooking one that was previously frozen or not.
              Last edited by hogdog6; January 6, 2020, 10:57 PM.

Comment

• texastweeter
                texastweeter commented
                Editing a comment
                sometimes I trim, inject, dry brine, then vac seal and freeze. I do this more often on prime rib than brisket and or butt. With rib roasts, I am usually buying one from our butcher that does not have them in cryopacs. Always good to have a couple in the freezer for emergency situations.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here