Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My plan for my first prime rib (including backup plan)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My plan for my first prime rib (including backup plan)

So my 20th wedding anniversary is coming up in early January. (The secret? Lots of cats and not being too attached to your carpet lol.)

Prime rib was a family tradition on her side for most of her childhood, but she really hasn't had it -- except for the occasional steakhouse visit, which is extremely rare -- in perhaps fifteen years. So I, in all of my inexperience, am going to try it.

In the freezer I have a 5 lb choice prime rib. ($53.) I plan to remove the bones so that I can tie the roast up so that it cooks evenly. I plan to dry brine for at least a day, possibly two. For the rub I've elected to do Cow Crust. (Seems a good choice for my first time.)

Ah, now how to cook it! I am still a little undecided on this. I am still learning my PBC, but this should be an extremely straightforward cook. if I go the PBC route I will not use any wood, but rely on the PBC "flavor." (I still have a tendency to over-smoke meat a bit on the PBC; that thing does not need much.) I am also undecided about searing if I do the PBC. The chuck roasts I did the other week had a perfect level of bark with no searing. I'm afraid with the higher temps of the PBC (~280-300), I might char the outside if I try to PBC + Sear.

My other option -- and my backup plan if the weather is terrible -- is to do it in the oven. I would roast it at 250 until done, then rest for 20 minutes, raise the oven temp to 500 and "sear" for eight minutes. (If this sounds familiar, it is the Perfect Prime Rib from SeriousEats.com.)

What I am currently wrestling with is at what temp to pull it for both plans. I know that the sides of the roast will be more done that the center portion. That is fine; my wife likes her prime rib more on the medium side than I do. I like mine right on that edge between medium and medium rare. So for the PBC method (no searing), I'm currently leaning for pulling when the center hits 125, to allow for the expected five degrees of carryover with a 20 minute rest.

For the oven + sear method, I originally thought I would pull it earlier, perhaps at 120, afraid the extra time of searing would raise the internal temp to higher than 130. But then I reasoned that during the 20 minute rest, the temp would rise from 125 (if I pulled at that) to 130 and then probably drop some, so the searing may not affect the target internal temperature that much.

Thoughts on my whole idea?

Sounds like you have a good plan in place! And Congrats on the 20 year Anny!!!

I have always done Prime Rib on my Kettle to avoid over smoking it. If you both don't mind smokey flavor then PBC is good to go, otherwise I would probably do the oven/sear or use a kettle with two zones if you have one.

Either way at the end of the day I am sure you will both devour it! Good luck!

Comment

First, I don't have a PBC. But my understanding is that they cook anywhere between 275° and 350° - give or take a bit. That seems a bit high to me, and will result in a deeper penetration of overcooked meat. That means that your wife will be happier with the cook than you will be. Unless you can get the temps lower, I would go with the Kettle and SnS.

Also, leave your thermo probe in the meat as it rests. That way you will have an idea what will happen when you do it again. And leave the probe in when you sear. Since the doneness should have been achieved during the initial cook, you are only watching to see if the temp starts to rise during the sear. You might even want to place the probe closer to the edge of the meat as an "early warning" to insure that it doesn't overcook close to the edge. To sear, a high temp oven will be easier, but if that's how you do it, you might want to loosely cover the probe with foil to keep direct heat from it.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here