Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rib Roast Carryover Cooking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rib Roast Carryover Cooking?

So yesterday was my first attempt at a standing rib roast. Like FishTalesNC , I also ordered my roast ahead of time, "trimmed and tied". Even worse, I had asked for one around 8 pounds after trimming and the butcher said that would be a 3 rib roast. But when I went to pick it up, the order had been filled as if I asked for a three pound roast, so I wound up refusing that one and choosing out of the cooler. Publix was running a $6.99 per pound special. I chose one at around 8.4 pounds, and it was cut exactly like the one in the photo FishTalesNC put up, also retied with the ribs appearing to still be in place.

I'm embarrassed to put up a pic of the poor job I did finishing the trimming and tying, but here it is:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0335.jpg
Views:	411
Size:	183.5 KB
ID:	783480
    I clearly didn't remove enough fat and I failed at "smooshing" the roast enough and then tying tightly to get it more round. This piece came to right at five pounds. I brined overnight with 2.5 tsp of Kosher salt.

The cook went really well on my ancient Kamado. Indirect with water in the drip pan sitting on my Baking Steel "heat deflector" (which is really a heat radiator). Temp held well at 225 first hour and slowly drifted to 235 or so after I put in the asparagus (in a small pan with butter, garlic, salt, pepper and Satsuma orange juice). Here we are at the end of the time on the grill, 115 internal on the roast:

Name:	IMG_0346.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	241.1 KB
ID:	783481
    I finished with searing under the broiler in the oven in my kitchen. The roast was on a baking sheet on foil. I started conservatively with only two minutes on each of the two sides it sat easily on, and then did another round of 4-5 on each side when the internal temp was still low. I stopped when it hit 130 or so in several insertions of two different thermometers from different angles to the thickest part.

Remarkably, on slicing, despite the imperfect shape, the initial result looked nearly perfect:

Name:	IMG_0349.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	219.6 KB
ID:	783482

There were only five of us dining, so I carved several slices from each end, dropped some foil loosely on the remaining center portion, and we finished serving up the rest of the items. We were eating within just a few minutes. Okay, yes, I did get a bit unreasonable about not letting my daughter cook some disgusting mac and cheese from a box for our son-in-law when they didn't show up until I was doing the sear, but Meathead says serve immediately without resting the meat. By the time a couple of rare slices were taken from the serving platter, most of what was left had gone to almost no pink remaining (sorry, no pics of that). I went back to the center chunk, and it was still perfect, so I cut more from it for serving.

So, my question is whether this is a fairly common or normal occurrence or if it is a product of the poor shape and searing from only two sides instead of four? Did the ends have severe carryover cooking even with those portions already sliced? Alternatively, were these ends just that overcooked before slicing? I remember the temp reading high, but I don't recall how high, as the probes were inserted. Does it take time for the color to leave after overshooting on temp, because that doesn't seem right to me?

PS: The asparagus was wonderful! The meat had really good flavor, but being a cheaper grade than prime, it wasn't all that tender.

PPS: The ribs and what must be the spinalis dorsi are in the freezer for future fun.

Jim, I do find that there is carryover with a rib roast. At your temps - both cooking and pulling - I have found it to be not so dramatic. However, I am basing that on a one hour rest in a Cambro. One of the things I love about a home cooked rib roast is how nice it tastes sliced at the table. However, as time goes by (when I go for second helpings) it loses it’s integrity. I’ve never been a fan of prime rib at restaurants for that reason.

I think the fact that you saw a spike in internal temp despite only broiling for a short time demonstrates the carryover effect. At a couple of minutes per side, the effect should not have been that dramatic.

I love your photos and your tying job looks great. I wrote earlier this month how badly I messed up a beautiful roast. I guess without photos it didn’t happen? Hahahaha

Comment

• Jim White
      Jim White commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks on the tying job. The mystery, though is that the center section had no carryover even after we finished eating.

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      I misunderstood the question at first. I thought you were saying that the meat kept cooking, not changing colors. How much was oxidized and came in contact with the cutting board or plate? I sometimes cut a ribeye before eating. A rare steak will look medium before eating while retaining it’s rare tenderness. If I take the same steak and use a knife, it retains the color associated with the cook.

One thing you can do it give it a bit of a breather after removing it from the pit. (Let it cool some before jamming it in a searing hot oven after smoking it). You will give yourself more room for error and more time to develop a crust.

Comment

• Jim White
      Jim White commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. Good option for adjusting timing, too.

I don't think it's a mystery that the ends had more carryover. Remember the the ends not only cook from the sides, but also from the ends. That additional heat source should account for the additional carryover. I always ask if anyone wants theirs from the ends because they have had more heat and are more done.

Comment

• Jim White
      Jim White commented
      Editing a comment
      I see that, but what I'm puzzling over is how those end pieces looked perfectly medium rare when cut but then went to just short of well on the serving platter. Is that normal? I would have thought the overcooked part would have looked that way from the time I sliced into it.

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      Jim White - were the slices stacked?When you do a high temp sear, that heat has to go somewhere,and I think it went into cookin' the ends past your desired temp.

• Jim White
      Jim White commented
      Editing a comment
      They were a bit overlapped, but I would have expected less color change after the slices came off. And in case anyone wonders, the platter wasn't heated.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here