Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SVQ Bacon Wrapped Tenderloin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SVQ Bacon Wrapped Tenderloin

So I was volunteered to cook 2 - 7+ lb beef tenderloins for x-mas day. I originally thought about SV and then searing either on a grill, torch, cast iron etc. But then I was told they wanted a bacon wrapped tenderloin. While I love everything with bacon, it seems a shame to me to lose that great crust from a tenderloin. That is the big attraction.

Anyways, now I am wondering can I SV, then wrap with bacon? Or should I SV the bacon first too and then wrap it around the finished meat and sear it all with the bacon on it?? Or bacon wrap the tenderloin and then SV, and finish?

Originally was trying to make it easy on me as I have to work x-mas eve. But now I am wondering if I should just smoke it or oven it possibly since I am not actually hosting and have to get it to a house about 20 minutes away.

Any creative suggestions or opinions on the bacon wrap after a sous vide?

That’s a tough one. You have a couple of choices. You can do some gymnastics by SV first, pre-cooking your bacon to the point you can still work with it, then do a final sear. OR you can just go ahead a do a conventional bacon wrapped tenderloin in the first place. I would just do the latter. SV isn’t going to make a tenderloin more tender anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Troutman View Post
      That’s a tough one. You have a couple of choices. You can do some gymnastics by SV first, pre-cooking your bacon to the point you can still work with it, then do a final sear. OR you can just go ahead a do a conventional bacon wrapped tenderloin in the first place. I would just do the latter. SV isn’t going to make a tenderloin more tender anyway.
      Ditto. No need to SV that thing. If you were cooking them fake stake New York Strips I'd recommend 2 hours at 131.5 in the tub.

Comment

Thanks guys. I was pretty sure I was going to stay traditional but with the logistics of it was considering the SV just to have it done and need a quick hit. Happy holidays!!

Comment

I’ve done a bacon wrapped pork loin using SV before - I put on my rub, wrapped in bacon, applied more rub, then vacuum sealed it for SV. The 4-5 hours in the vacuum bag swimming in the SV actually set the bacon pretty good, and I then seared in a 500 degree oven on a rack over a pan, until the bacon crisped up and I liked the color. It was a hit on New Year’s Day.

That said, I would prefer the traditional smoke to SV any day. It was just a convenience thing for me that cook.

Comment

• afd696
            afd696 commented
            Editing a comment
            The convenience would have been the only reason I was doing it. Thanks for the feedback !

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here