Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Taking Large Prime Rib to Another House

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taking Large Prime Rib to Another House

Hey guys! Long time lurker! Need a little input on making this Christmas dinner plan work. I was asked to make the 18 pound prime rib roast for dinner at a relative's house. Dinner is at 4pm. My plan is to follow Meathead's recipe with the 24 hour dry brine, cow crust, indirect heat at ~225 until 115 internal (guessing 3.5 hours maybe) and then sear until I reach about 125. The tricky part is this guy is going to another house. Almost finish it my house a couple hours before hand (hence the 125 finish temp) and let it rest until time to go. Then sear it again at the new house until 135 to "reheat" right before eating.

I guess what I'm hoping you guys can help with is the timing? Should I roll the dice and try to plan it so the meat is seared and done immediately before leaving or should I finish it early, maybe let it rest for an hour or two and then take it over? Do you guys think I should cook to 115, NOT SEAR, and wait to finish it at the other house? Or is my plan just bad all the way around! Thanks for the help!

Well, I cannot comment on the prime rib part of the equation - just bought my first the other day, and its in the deep freeze now. That said, the issue I see with your plan is the hold for a couple of hours below safe food handling temperatures.

Even in faux cambro, I just don't think a 125F piece of meat is going to stay anywhere near 125F. After 2 hours it will probably be down to 100F. 125 is just not that hot to begin with. It's not like a steaming hot brisket or butt that you pull off the smoker at 205F internal, which will stay in a cooler for 5-6 hours before it drops below 140F (the safe holding temp for food that is out more than 2 hours). Maybe I am being overly cautious, and it's a non issue. Just throwing it out there.

If the meat is down around 100 after 2 hours, searing to 135F in the middle at the other house will end up getting the exterior of the prime rib well done I would think.

One thought.... do you happen to have an Anova or Joule sous vide device? That might be a way to get it back to temp at the other location, prior to the final sear, without overcooking it.
    Last edited by jfmorris; December 18, 2019, 10:58 AM.

Comment

How far away is the house from your place?

If it is a long ways away, you are better off wrapping it foil, then taking it to the destination and reheating to 115 F, then searing.

If it is close take the meat all the way to your finishing temp, wrap it up tight and quickly finish there. (Assuming they have a broiler or a grill to finish it on)

Comment

I agree with Spinaker and just wrap tight in foil and give it a quick finish when you get there. Just don't overcook it, at 125F internal you're pretty close to a finished temp in my opinion and they you'll add any carryover so just be careful.

Comment

• scottranda
          scottranda commented
          Editing a comment
          True! But at 18 pounds?!?! That’s huge! Should be ok to sear at that close to finishing temp?

Interesting. Thanks for the help guys. I'm not traveling far, maybe 20 minutes or so. You guys aren't concerned if I take it out, wrap it in foil that it won't overcook on the way there?

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          No. You are gonna be fine. Have a great time, and enjoy it!

Originally posted by Meatsiah View Post
        Interesting. Thanks for the help guys. I'm not traveling far, maybe 20 minutes or so. You guys aren't concerned if I take it out, wrap it in foil that it won't overcook on the way there?
        I’ve been down the Christmas prime rib road a couple dozen times. It should be fine.

An 18 pounder is going to serve what, 30 people?

What is going to happen is, about 1/4 of the people are going to think it’s perfectly done, and everyone else will want it to be anything from less red and more pink to gray all the way through.

do the well dones by slicing that portion and finishing for 45 seconds or so in a skilllet. For the mediums, slice that portion and bake it in a 350 oven for about 2-3 minutes.

And, your family and friends are going to be remarkably unjudgemental. No matter what you think, they are going to think it is excellent. And it will be.

Comment

20 minutes is not far. I took one to my brother's last year about 40 minutes away, granted it was only 8 lb. but I just wrapped it in foil threw it in a cooler and put a towel over it. It was fine without reheating.

Comment

Thanks again guys, this makes me feel a lot better. Cooking THE roast for a Christmas party is stressful enough, but transporting it was giving me some meat sweats. Yeah it sounds like finishing the bad boy off, wrapping it up and moving it is the right path. I will just have to time it right!

Comment

Assuming you have oven ready to use and for Only being 20 minutes away, I’d reverse sear until around 5 deg below your desired temp and then take from oven and leave lightly tented and bring to your friends. Then when you get there pop it in a 550 oven for 5-10 min until brown all over. The low cooking temp and resting will keep it from getting overcooked and will dry out the outside to let it get a great sear in the oven

Comment

The biggest issue I see with taking something like this to someone else's house is knowing that you can have the reheat/finish setup you need - either a gas grill or oven. And I like Mosca 's advice to just have a skillet to make slices more done in for those who don't want medium rare. That is what I have done with beef roasts in the past - my wife and parents are medium-well and well-done folks, and I give them the end slices, or a middle slice that hits a cast iron skillet for a minute or two per side. Everyone else - me and the kids and their spouses - will eat it medium rare. Then there is my future son in law, who only likes chicken (seriously!)....

Comment

Let us know what you end up doing and how it turns out, Meatsiah . I hope it turns out to be the perfect rib roast for you all.

Kathryn

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here