Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ideal temp for beef

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ideal temp for beef

Reading AmazingRibs articles on beef leads me to believe that 130 - 135 degrees is ideal for flavor. Well, not just by reading but also from personal experience. But then I read an article on cooking chuck roasts and it's talking about 180 degrees as the trigger to remove the meat. I am about to cook up an eye round roast and didn't think twice about going for medium rare until I read this:
    With this smoked sliced chuck roast recipe, you'll be able to create beef as moist, tender, and flavorful as traditional Texas brisket. Taken from the shoulder of the steer directly above the brisket, chuck roast offers as much flavor as its neighboring cut but at a much more manageable price and weight.

Can anyone out there translate for this rookie?

I’ll add a little here for you.

The article you read is for chuck roast. Different than the eye of round you are going to cook. Chuck roast needs to be cooked to break down and become tender. If I’m correct, much more fat and intramuscular than an eye of round roast. So, you see high finishing temps that are nearing where brisket finishes. This allows for pulling or slicing a nice, tender chuck roast. I braised a chuck roast earlier this week so I could pull it as well. the only time I’ve done a medium rare on chuck roast is when I used the sous Vide at 125* for three days, 72 hours worth of cooking to get it fork tender.

The eye of round is great for the the medium rare type cook you have planned. I haven’t cooked one before, but if it’s what I’m thinking it should slice well and then be great for roast beef sandwiches for leftovers.

Others will chime in.

Comment

Depends on the cut, and the usage. No connective tissue and fat in eye of round means cook rare, slice thin across the grain, or else it will wither away like Barry bonds without steroids.

Comment

I did a round roast last fall on our Keg, smoked it at 300 to an inside temp of 180ish.
        I found on thing that helps with this cut of meat is to flip it every 30-40 mins to cook all sides.
        Came out more rare than medium which everyone perferred.
        I did keep some water in the heat diffuser to catch the drippings and got a nice smoky gravy out of the beast.
        Did not to bad if I do say so myself.

Comment

• pkadare
          pkadare commented
          Editing a comment
          If I cooked beef to 180ish and it appeared rare, I'd be replacing my thermometer.

• smokin fool
          smokin fool commented
          Editing a comment
          I know I do things from memory and my memory ain't what it used to be.
          I gotta start writing things down.
          So I must have pulled it off earlier maybe 140.
          Sorry for misinformation.

130ish is ideal for flavor/texture for quick cooking portions of beef like steaks or anything that is far away from hoof and horn. These cuts don’t do much work and are already tender.

however, for tough cuts from the chuck primal etc, the cooking goal can be different. Traditional BBQ takes it to the point where it is tender, which usually means 180-210F. The meat fibers are beyond well done and are themselves dry, but the long slow cooking time converts all that tough connective tissue to gelatin, which creates a sensation of moistness that makes up for the well done meat fibers.

Comment

Thanks everyone for clearing the issue up for me. I see that figuring the doneness temp is driven by the cut of meat...that not all beef parts are created equal in that regard.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here