Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sometimes it’s good for me when my wife loses her mind.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sometimes it’s good for me when my wife loses her mind.

My wife is super excited to spend our first Christmas at home in Tennessee. In an effort to combine some of her cherished Xmas traditions with my burgeoning pit master skills, she has asked me to cook a atypical beef dish on the PBC so that half of it could be a big typical Christmas dinner that we would eat Christmas Eve, and the leftover half could be eaten more casually on Xmas day, say in the form of sandwiches. I’ve been looking through recipes and threads both here and other resources, and I’ve come to two possibilities: a brisket or some type of prime rib roast. She would be happy with either. I would prefer to attempt the brisket, but I’ve heard it doesn’t work well as a leftover the next day. Any thoughts or suggestions are always appreciated.

That’s awesome!

Personally I would lean more towards the rib roast. But that is just my personal preference. You won’t go wrong either way... you could also consider chuck roast or beef ribs...

Any of those leftovers can be added some tasty soups etc ... as well.

enjoy.

Comment

We did a rib roast last year and it went well enough that it’s being requested again. I’ve done brisket for Christmas too but that one didn’t get requested again probably because a prime rib could be considered traditional by the in-laws.

Comment

Leftover prime rib makes an awesome sandwich. Just sayin'...

Comment

I think someone is missing an opportunity to demand another smoker in the lineup."Sorry honey, the PBC needs some repairs, but I can get a new LSG or KBQ delivered in time."

Comment

• VideoWolf88
            VideoWolf88 commented
            Editing a comment
            It may be in the works. We buried my father-in-law Monday at Bath National Cemetery. The last birthday gift he gave me two weeks before he died was a pellet smoker book. I have never owned one. So maybe it’s karma.

Prime rib sliders on Christmas day are amazing, especially with a bit of horseradish.

Comment

I can empathize with both you and the Mrs. Of all the things I have lost in my life I miss my mind the most.

I vote for the prime rib roast.

Comment

I think we all should be interested in yer "burgeoning pit master skills". Heavy!

Comment

• tbob4
                tbob4 commented
                Editing a comment
                Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!

The traditional holiday beef meal around here in rural northeast Iowa would be prime rib or ribeye roast.

A hearty brunch meal using the leftovers would be thin slices of beef gently warmed and served with eggs and hashbrowns. If you don't have a lot of leftover beef, this is a good way to stretch the goodness so everyone gets a taste.

Comment

• Ahumadora
                Ahumadora commented
                Editing a comment
                Have an extra chair? I am coming to your house for christmas..

I would lean toward a rib roast or Prime rib. Although a couple of Tri-Tip would be good and make great sandwiches the next day. Sliced very thin for cold sandwiches on cooked up into Philly cheesesteaks

Comment

Do a combo, Rib or Prime rib roast for the Eve and toss a Chuckie on the grill for the next day.
                Even if your do have left overs to go with the Chuckie, its a win win.

Comment

I did a NY strip loin roast on New Year’s day a couple of years ago that was a big hit with the family, and worked well as left overs. I can not recall now if I SV’ed it then seared on the gas grill, or if I reverse seared. I do know I went to 135F internal temp, reverse seared to brown the outside, then gave the two folks who wanted medium well slices the end pieces, and any more slices that were more than medium rare just got 1-2 minutes in a skillet on the stove, right from the cutting board.

Comment

Definitely if you’re looking for a simple and delicious easy leftover meal on Christmas go with the prime rib.
                    You could go cheesesteaks, hot open faced sammies there are endless possibilities and all will be good.

Comment

• Dewesq55
                      Dewesq55 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Plus 1 for the hot open faced sammies with pan gravy!

Prime Rib dry brined 24 hours, then hit with POG before smoking. Then tons of options for leftovers, just wish I had some Five of us cleaned out a 6 pounder.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Meathead has a great writeup on the free side for prime rib, which I have used a few times. Don't skip the jus.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here