Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Actual Chuck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actual Chuck

Very rare to see anything labeled as "chuck" in the Great White North, but Sobey's has their Sterling Silver AAA Chuck Boneless Blade roasts on for $3.99/lb. Picked up 3 that I had them cut at 2 kg (just over 4 lbs). I may go back and get some more between now and next Wednesday. I'm going to do 2 of them in the traditional fashion on the PBC and smoke, sous vide, and smoke the other one. I'll smoke to about 125 internal, sous vide at 131 for about 48 hours, ice bath, and then smoke again to about 120 or 125. Yummy!

smokin fool - if you've got a Sobeys in your neck of the woods!...

Click image for larger version

Name:	chuckroastsale.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	771289

Nice! Sounds like that process will make for some mighty tender prime rib style beef on the cheap!

Comment

• pkadare
      pkadare commented
      Editing a comment
      Huskee - that's the goal! I've done the sous vide thing with lots of cheap roast and they do turn out almost like prime rib. First time for the smoke, sous vide, smoke though. I can never remember the abbreviation used for the around here. QVQ? SVS? :-)

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      I believe folks call that one QVQ for: BBQ > SV > BBQ. Never dunnit myself, I've only done SVQ on occasion. Seems like way too much work to this lazy boy. Please let me know with pics & prose what I'm missing when you're done!

Picked up a 2.3kg bone in Chuck roast today but don't own a SV (yet) so it's going to end up as pulled beef. Price $10 for 5 pounds

Name:	20191121_190030.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	771316

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Great price! I love pulled beef so much.

I love QVQ Chuck, my favorite way to prepare it !!

Comment

• klflowers
      klflowers commented
      Editing a comment
      JGo37, you are going to love it. I just did some asparagus - 10 min at 185 - it comes out perfect every time.

• JGo37
      JGo37 commented
      Editing a comment
      klflowers do you heat the asparagus up with the water, or put it in when the water reaches temp? Or does it matter?

• klflowers
      klflowers commented
      Editing a comment
      JGo37, When it reaches temp. At first I thought that was a lot to do for some asparagus, but now I am a convert. I try to do it on the tail end of something else, like a long chuck cook when I do the second Q, but I have just heated the water and done just the asparagus.

There’s a Sobeys 12 mins south of me
    I have a Metro just down the street I’ve bern using for chucks and butts
    The butts are named everything but a butt
    Still taste good after I’m done with them
    Thanks for the info

Comment

Just curious pkadare, how thick are your roasts? Typically I have mine cut to about 2" or so. That being the case I generally do not go over 24 hours at that temperature. What I've found is the multiple muscle makeup of a chuck roast's connective tissue renders out and you end up with pieces of meat when you try to carve it, if that makes sense. Here's one I did at 22 hours, which is my sweet spot. Notice how some of the connective tissue is still holding the pieces somewhat together. Just a suggestion to not get too aggressive on the bath time unless you have a much thicker roast....

Name:	chuck meal 04.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	166.8 KB
ID:	771393

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here