Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beef Back Ribs on the 26er

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beef Back Ribs on the 26er

Local grocery store started carrying these, never cooked or even recall eating beef back ribs before - only short ribs. I got the last two racks and unfortunately they were very different as far as thickness. Had a hell of a time getting the membranes off. Dry brined 24 hours in Heath Riles Everyday Rub - I wanted the extra onion & garlic from a SPOG.

Click image for larger version

Name:	CA82529E-3D87-4B82-8755-C37BFF593B56.jpeg
Views:	277
Size:	334.7 KB
ID:	764855

Then they got BBBR.

Name:	AD2D2ECF-72AB-4AB8-98E3-AD9C42FD4D2E.jpeg
Views:	332
Size:	345.9 KB
ID:	764852

I used KBB for fuel since I wasn’t expecting a long cook, saving my Weber briquettes, and tossed in a few mesquite chunks.

Name:	D58EC68A-E06D-43D2-A523-46FD6D657A5E.jpeg
Views:	269
Size:	304.6 KB
ID:	764853

Temps avg’d ~265F, after 2h15m the thin one was probe tender and it went into the oven at 140F wrapped tightly in foil.

Name:	7B440125-CCA2-42FD-B2D2-37DEDEAF8A7A.jpeg
Views:	259
Size:	311.5 KB
ID:	764854

The other rack took an extra hour before it was probe tender.

Name:	23EABAE5-8D12-47B4-8191-204CA0A54526.jpeg
Views:	248
Size:	259.5 KB
ID:	764856

Name:	BF69C692-9A05-4C75-B31E-A04AA1EF5710.jpeg
Views:	260
Size:	281.8 KB
ID:	764857

Really liked the bark, that BBBR is so good on beef. They were good, we liked them, but we all definitely liked shorties better. Glad I tried these tho.

Those are some skinny racks. I usually won't by beef back ribs from big box stores for this reason. I usually leave the membrane on with beef tips. Look great though.

Comment

• FishTalesNC
      FishTalesNC commented
      Editing a comment
      Good to know, I just grabbed them cuz I never see them around here, live and learn...

Excellent cook!!

Comment

Nice! I have bought and cooked many baby back beef ribs. I don't usually serve them as 'dinner', more like a pit master's snack. For that they excel. I really like the flavor, and the size is handy, this is real finger food.

Comment

Never had them and they look good.
        Nice job Sir.

Comment

Next time just give me a call and I'll take em off your hands. They look excellent!

Comment

I wish I could find beef ribs of any sort around here. Lately I've seen what the stores are calling "beef short rib", but its thin strips cut across the bones, so that each strip has 4 or 5 little round bones in it. Doesn't seem worth cooking that way.

Comment

• FishTalesNC
              FishTalesNC commented
              Editing a comment
              jfmorris I think you mentioned you have a Fresh Market near you? Mine always has English cut shorties for sale and if I recall correctly they're prime, man they are good and really easy to cook and eat. What you're describing sounds like flanken cut.

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              FishTalesNC you know, I've not actually looked at the beef ribs in Fresh Market. I subscribe to their emails and monitor their website weekly for specials, and so far have only bought baby back ribs and primal cuts like a full NY strip there a few times. And of course they have their Tuesday special on ground chuck and boneless skinless chicken breasts. I'll check out the beef ribs next time I am down that way.

And yes - flanken cut is what I probably saw at Sam's Club the other day.

• Henrik
              Henrik commented
              Editing a comment
              They are called flanken cut beef ribs. Good snack too :-)

Agreed, don't waste your time getting the membrane off. It's on the bone side, it usually turns into a soft texture anyway. I happen to love those things. Yea you are buying mostly bone but the meat is just delicious without all the fat of the short ribs. I just do the old salt and pepper rub and go to town on them. Your's turned out nicely !!!

Comment

Your ribs have a bit more meat on them than the ones I see for sale at a semi-local Publix here. I tried a rack of them, and although I liked the flavor, I felt like a dog chewing on a few scraps on a bone. So I never got them again. The meat-to-bone ratio was just too teensy.

I'm still hoping to find the kind that Troutman and texastweeter routinely show--the dino rib type.

Kathryn

Comment

• FishTalesNC
                FishTalesNC commented
                Editing a comment
                Exactly our experience fzxdoc, I'll get them again IF I can find much meatier ones, but I'm not holding my breath. My kiddo made the comment that she sure was in the mood for some baby backs... how very tactful for an 11 year old 🙄

• Troutman
                Troutman commented
                Editing a comment
                Try Porter Road, they have the monster ones fzxdoc

• texastweeter
                texastweeter commented
                Editing a comment
                mine come from HEB or Brookshires

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here