Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Full packer Pastrami?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Full packer Pastrami?

So, I have seasoned only flats for Pastrami in the past. I plan on smoking a briksket next weekend, and would like to at the same time run some pastrami. My in experience has me not knowing if you can do a full packer into pastrami, and what pitfalls should I be looking for?

Thank you in advance!

There are no real pitfalls. Just make sure you measure the thickness correctly. Trim out the deckle pretty well and let it go. I cure mine as full packers everytime, then split them before I Smoke.

Comment

• Richard Chrz
      Richard Chrz commented
      Editing a comment
      Is splitting them before I smoke a necessary thing?

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      No, I have done it both ways. I just prefer to split them now. The point and the flat cook at different rates, so it makes it easier for me. I do it with all the briskets I cook. Richard Chrz

Richard Chrz you can cook it whole but will have the thick wedge of fat between the flat and point which is not too desirable. Also you dont need to buy high grade brisket for pastrami. I would trim the fat pretty hard on the brisket before curing. Turns into a gooey mess in the brine.

Comment

Don’t need to split before you smoke. The important part is trimming out the deckle fat to keep a more uniform thickness and reduce curing time. You may be a bit late for next weekend. A full packer likely won’t take less than 7 days to cure, then one day to desalinate, then two days to sit with the rub. You could rub right before placing on the smoker, but I agree with Meathead that it sets up better if you give it a couple days.

Comment

• Richard Chrz
        Richard Chrz commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you, and according to my wife, I am off on the weekend I wanted to make them, so, I have an extra week now. :Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here