Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Don't mess this up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't mess this up

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6902.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	333.1 KB
ID:	761845
    I don't buy Prime filets because the difference in price is not worth the difference in quality at Costco. Briskets, tri-tips and ribeyes are another story. So yesterday I saw these just sitting there in the meat section. What the heck? I have never seen marbling like that on the Prime filets at my Costco. They are going on the Santa Maria tonight and I sure hope I don't screw anything up. Not because the price was well above what I would like to pay but because if I can't do justice to these I need to go back to grilling 101.

Holy cow. I'd splurge on those too!

Comment

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      My wife thought I looked stupid dancing in the meat aisle. I couldn't help myself.

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      Yup we can just picture you dancin in the streets, with yer hat on & everything. Yeah, & we don’t need pics.

I'm hoping that they haven't been blade tenderized!

Comment

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hahaha! Should I take my meat mallet to them before I slap them down on the grill? I may have to buy more expensive salt and pepper for them.

• pkadare
      pkadare commented
      Editing a comment
      Shouldn't be necessary but would definitely be safer than blade tenderizing. You don't want to cook those babies to 160 degrees!

What was the per lb price?

Comment

• pkadare
      pkadare commented
      Editing a comment
      They look like wagyu. I've never seen prime look like that!

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      pkadare - I hadn't seen a Prime like these, either. I bought one pack of 4 - almost bought two packs but I was already pushing my limit. I was shopping with my wife who liked the price of the pork butts I bought.

• Porkies
      Porkies commented
      Editing a comment
      It would be tough for me to pick those up. But, look at this way... you'd pay that much for a less valuable piece of meat at any decent restaurant, and more than that at a good steak restaurant.

Not too far from goin’ wagyu by the looks !!!

Comment

I'm with you 100% I have a moral limit as well, and usually that means no filets, and def not Prime filets, but again those are spectacular and I just might've done the same. Happy eating!

Comment

• Dewesq55
        Dewesq55 commented
        Editing a comment
        My "moral limit" is, unfortunately, dictated by my bank balance. I would have bought those in a heartbeat.

WOW!!!
      From the looks of those beauties I woulda never thought those were filets.
      That marbling is insane.
      Your’e gonna rock this cook. Looking forward to the pics.

Comment

Every prime fillet I’ve seen still has very little marbling, usually not much different than choice. For a fillet to have that much marbling, I’d think it’d have to be wagyu.

Comment

• Red Man
          Red Man commented
          Editing a comment
          Medium...yikes! Does 135 count? Serve with dim lighting (candlelight dinner?) so she can’t see it 🤣.

• Dewesq55
          Dewesq55 commented
          Editing a comment
          OMG! Even 1 degree above 120°F for those is a sin, IMHO!

• JGo37
          JGo37 commented
          Editing a comment
          I know for a fact Red Man that the dim lights trick works!

Wow. have never seen filets that look like that except for A5 Waygu. Congrats on your pickup.

Comment

check the batteries in your instant read thermometer!

Comment

Those look amazing! Wow. You’ll be fine. Prime meat at medium is still tender n soft. No worries. Those will rest up like a beast.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0652.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	331.2 KB
ID:	762012Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2013 (1).jpg
Views:	315
Size:	305.1 KB
ID:	762013Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2400.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	419.3 KB
ID:	762014Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9317.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	415.1 KB
ID:	762015Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1754.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	427.0 KB
ID:	762016
              Turned out delicious!!!! Thanks, you all. I would do it again in a minute but at the price, only every so often.

Comment

• CaptainMike
                CaptainMike commented
                Editing a comment
                Bravo!

• crazytown3
                crazytown3 commented
                Editing a comment
                Super nice job on those! If it were me, that beer would have been gone before I even started, trying to steady my nerves. You only needed it part way gone haha.

• tbob4
                tbob4 commented
                Editing a comment
                pkadare , RonB , CaptainMike , crazytown3 - thanks! Crazytown - you notice that the beer wasn't touched between the cooking, pre-sear sauce and the finished product. HAHAHA. I was paying way too much attention to time and elevation on the Santa Maria.

Perfect. 👊👊

Comment

• tbob4
                tbob4 commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks Steve - it really was mouth watering

Sloberlicius!!!

Comment

• tbob4
                tbob4 commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah - got some on my shirt, too!

Yes, SIR ! ! !

Comment

• tbob4
                tbob4 commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you very much. It was something else.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here