Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I just...I just don't like ribeyes.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just...I just don't like ribeyes.

Wow. I said it.

I grew up eating well-done steaks cooked in the oven. (Yeah....) It wasn't until college that I actually ate a grilled medium-rare steak. But even then, I didn't have a clue as to the different cuts. In the intervening years, I had some good ribeyes and sirloins and found myself preferring the sirloin, and especially the NY strip.

Obviously, steak is expensive, so I've tended to stick to the strip. However, I've learned so much in the past year on this BBQ journey that I found myself open to trying a ribeye again.

Last night, a wonderful opportunity presented itself: Ruth's Chris, 16 oz medium-rare prime beef, and I wasn't paying for it.

Conclusion; I'm just not into ribeyes. Now, to be fair, the spinalis part was very, very good, but that is just about two bites of the steak! I'm just not into all that fat.

Give me a NY strip with fine marbling and that bold beef flavor....that's what I like.

Nothing wrong with that. Just like I prefer a ribeye to a NY Strip. To each their own. If we all liked the same thing, life would be boring and there would be no need for discussion forums like this.

Comment

@Michael-In-TX I love ribeyes but I will never one at Ruth's Cris again. For 16oz I ended up with maybe up with 6 - 8 oz. of non-edible meat.

You should enjoy what your eating so if you like the strip go for it. I will never order a filet, no fat, no flavor.

Comment

• dahcopilot
        dahcopilot commented
        Editing a comment
        worst steak and worst service i ever had was at ruth's chris in greenville, sc

Love ribeyes. As I've said, they had to give "the strip" a hip name so people would think it was great, kinda like the Sir-loin.

Comment

Porterhouse. Hands down.

Comment

• dahcopilot
          dahcopilot commented
          Editing a comment
          my man!

I like strip over ribeye as well.

Comment

I definitely prefer a ribeye. Even better is the ribeye cap steak. To each his/her own. Just like I prefer a tri-tip over a brisket any day.

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            This is where we part ways..... 😂😂

• HouseHomey
            HouseHomey commented
            Editing a comment
            Wow! That was out of left field and then shot the gap. I won’t say apples to 🍊 but you are at opposite ends of the steer. Love me some TT though.

Enjoy what you like. I like beef - no matter the cut, same holds true for pork.
          Last edited by 58limited; October 23, 2019, 04:11 PM.

Comment

I'm with you 100%. No shame in that.

Comment

STRIP! Yes! My preferred!

Comment

I say eat what you like and don’t apologize.

Unless you like filet mignons, then you should apologize!

Comment

• Greygoose
                  Greygoose commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I beg to differ
                  U haven’t had a truelly outstanding filet

• HouseHomey
                  HouseHomey commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Bwahahaha. Greygoose I have had truly outstanding filet and a lot of them. For sure an excellent bite but not the same flavor for me. Sauce and mushrooms are a game changer though.

• shify
                  shify commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Greygoose - Of course I haven't had a truly outstanding filet because such a thing does not exist!!!

I've had dry aged, wet aged, on the bone, off the bone, at a steakhouse, at a fancy restaurant and at home. I find the meat too soft and the flavor lacking. Naturally I wouldn't kick a filet out of bed but it would choose a lot of other cuts before it, even if price wasn't a factor. My personal ranking:
                  Ribeye
                  Strip
                  Hanger
                  Skirt steak
                  Flanken short ribs
                  Flat iron
                  Porterhouse/t-bone
                  Filet
                  Flank

My vote is for strips. I recently posted (I think) strips from Wegman. Both my wife and I felt they were the best steaks we've every purchased. Porterhouse and T-Bone are up there. Again, it comes down to your taste.

Comment

• Mosca
                  Mosca commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Also, the ribeyes in the butcher case at our local Wegman’s have spinali that are HUGE. I cooked up a couple Saturday that were superb.

Strip.

But that doesn’t make ribeyes bad!

Comment

• JCGrill
                  JCGrill commented
                  Editing a comment
                  With ya there.

I'll throw a couple of hot dogs on for ya...

Comment

• Polarbear777
                  Polarbear777 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Tyson can make hot dogs taste like ribs or is that the other way around?

• CaptainMike
                  CaptainMike commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hey, I don't buy no cheap-o OM weenies, it's first cabin schnitzel around here!

• HouseHomey
                  HouseHomey commented
                  Editing a comment
                  CaptainMike I need one of those Steakdogs tbob4 talks about. Hebrew Nats for this house.

Originally posted by CaptainMike View Post
                I'll throw a couple of hot dogs on for ya...
                I like hot dogs 🌭

Comment

• hogdog6
                  hogdog6 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I love hotdogs. They are the second reason I frequent my local Costco. The meat counter for ribeyes is 1st!

• CaptainMike
                  CaptainMike commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Me too!

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here