Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Had Japanese Wagyu Beef For the First Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had Japanese Wagyu Beef For the First Time

I was at a steakhouse (Perry's, for those in the Greater Houston area) this evening celebrating my mom's birthday. Their special was 5-rated Japanese Wagyu NY Strip. Now, prior to beginning my BBQ adventure just last year, I had no idea what Wagyu was.

I thought about getting it....steakhouses are pricey enough as it is and this was $17.50/oz! But my wife really wanted to try it, so we ordered 3 oz of it (one oz for me, two for her).

It was dry-aged, but I forget for exactly how long. It was cooked to a perfect medium rare and it was very, very good. My initial impressions are two fold: wow, it just melts in your mouth. Been a very long time since I've had a steak like that! And then there was the part I was most curious about....there was a mild "blue cheese" flavor to it. Not objectionable, just different. I can certainly see why it is highly prized.

(No, I didn't just have 1 oz of steak...lol...I also had the chateaubriand -- also perfectly cooked and fascinating to compare it to the Wagyu -- and a dish of lobster mac and cheese.)

It is great to hear you had a chance to enjoy some. It really is a unique piece of meat.

Comment

Did not know you could order by the OZ, of course we do not have fancy Japanese restaurants around here. Or any other place to get wagyu . Question is was it the best steak you have ever had?

Comment

I have never had meat of that quality. I don't have a dedicated fridge to age beef. The space in the house fridge doesn't allow me the room.

However, I know from reading what Meathead and others report, the Bleu Cheese flavor comes from the aging process. The quality of the beef is why it melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by randy56 View Post
          Question is was it the best steak you have ever had?
          It was the most unique steak I have ever had. Would I do it again? Absolutely, as long as I wasn't paying for it. Price consideration, in my mind, has to be a part of this, Was it better than a prime NY strip? Sure....was it 3x the price better? Maybe.

Comment

Try their 7 finger pork chop next time. It’s the BOMB !!!

Comment

• Michael_in_TX
              Michael_in_TX commented
              Editing a comment
              I nearly got that, but I often go to their Scarsdale location and get the pork chop lunch portion Wednesdays for $9.99. The table next to us got one and I had forgotten just how large that pork chop is. Mammoth chop!

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              It's really half a bone in loin roast !!! They really do a good job of smoking them. If you can get through one you're a better man than I

• Michael_in_TX
              Michael_in_TX commented
              Editing a comment
              I always think it is humorous that they list pork chop leftover recipes on their website....as you know you'll be taking some of that home! https://perryssteakhouse.com/porkchoprecipes/

I try not to get it dry aged. The blue cheese funk doesn't happen with a pure piece of A5. Pure A5 to me is like heaven. But that is my opinion and ya all can get what you want.
            Last edited by mountainsmoker; October 13, 2019, 11:42 PM.

Comment

• Michael_in_TX
              Michael_in_TX commented
              Editing a comment
              Now that you mention it, I wonder if the wow factor would have been higher for me had it not been dry-aged. I didn't dislike the blue cheese undertones, but my preference is leaning toward it not being there. Fantastic steak, still.

I’ve gotten a couple of small A5 wagyu steaks from Crowd Cow. It was most definitely the best steak I’ve ever had. Totally melt in your mouth.

Comment

I have also had A5 wagyu from Crowd Cow. We did a tasting with my son and his friend (and out wives). Sliced and grilled very quickly on a flat top. A little salt and soy on the side for dipping.
              We all felt it was the most tender (putting it lightly), melt in your mouth like butter steak.
              With that said, 2 of the crowd of 6 thought it was a bit light on the beefy taste side.

As you said, Michael_in_TX , I would do it again - if I didn't have to pay for it ;-)

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here