Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 3 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 2 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse

Meat-Up in Memphis 2021

SOLD OUT! Secure your spot on our waitlist now. First-come, first-served!
Click here for details. (https://amazingribs.com/memphis)
See more
See less

How long should I allow for cooking and resting time for a (very) large & expensive brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ecross52
    Club Member
    • Aug 2018

How long should I allow for cooking and resting time for a (very) large & expensive brisket

I recently reached out directly to Meathead about a "challenge" I am facing. Along with his own suggestions, he recommended I post in the Pitmaster forum and find out what other members say.

Through the most fortunate of mistakes by a shipping company, my son was the lucky recipient of a 31 lbs, Japanese A5 Olive Wagyu brisket from Crowd Cow. Btw.. that was a $1,440 mistake on the shipping company's part!

We are planning on BBQ'ing that monster piece of meat next week for a very special dinner event that includes our sons, their families and some very close friends. This a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity and I feel especially challenged with the lead time required to cook and rest the meat prior to the scheduled event. I am hoping to finesse it into a 3-4 hour window and to avoid having to wait until midnight

I know that a brisket is done when the brisket is done. However, assuming a steady cooking temperature of 225°, should I allow for 14 hours, 18 hours, longer? Smoke at a higher/lower temperature? At what temperature should I wrap? All of a sudden this is beginning to feel like my first brisket!

Let me first confess that I prefer wrapping in pink butcher paper (never foil) and I never inject. As for ambient outdoor temperatures, the forecast is for sunny skies- 48°/72° (it's really in the Santa Cruz mountains this time of year) . Other than that, I am open to suggestion from the members of this esteemed forum and learning from your experiences.

A little bit about me.. I am a better-than-average BBQ'er with experience on a number of platforms. My current rig is a Yoder 640 and pellet brand of choice is Lumberjack. I also have a full sized, insulated pan carrier for resting the meat.

Regards,

Ed Cross

Attached Files
  • willxfmr
    Club Member
    • Apr 2017
    • Fondy

If I were you, I'd scrap the whole plan and ship the burden off to the first person that replies to your post.

Comment

• willxfmr
      Club Member
      • Apr 2017
      • Fondy

If that doesn't work for you, may want to consider going SVQ for that big of a brisket. I know many will cry foul, but with the amount of risk involved, I'd do everything in my power to maintain control. For me, I'd smoke at 225 for 4 hours using a smoke tube to boost the smoke profile, then bag and sous vide for 24-36 hours at 165. The disadvantage is a far less developed bark. This would also give you the advantage of knowing exactly when you will be able to serve it.
      Congrats on your good fortune! Please let us know how it turns out.
      Last edited by willxfmr; October 10, 2019, 04:55 PM.

Comment

• Donw
        Club Member
        • Jul 2017

So that is where my missing brisket went. Was wondering. Now, I haven’t done the brisket but have done several A5 roasts on my 640 so I will relate what I found when smoking them. The more significant thing I found was that they cooked to tender much faster than I expected. They were probe tender in less than half the time I planned for. The other thing was I noticed the amount of liquid that dripped from them. On my second cook I placed a pan under the roast to capture the drippings and used that as a base for a sauce. Good luck with the cook but you won’t need it as luck has already shined down on you to be able to prepare such a piece of meat.

Comment

• Ahumadora
          Club Member
          • Oct 2015
          • Warkworth, New Zealand

First. Don't waste any of it If you trim it
          . Keep the fat for cooking or lip balm. Has a really low melting point.
          Next. Treat it like a normal brisket (drink a beer or 5 and relax).
          I would cook it at 300f and plan on 7-8 hours with 2 hours of rest. Go to probe tender not 203f
          Never smoked a A5 wagu, but it is just a big fatty piece of meat and would be very hard to mess it up.
          You can always cut it in half and do 2 smokes. 31 lbs is a hunk of beef.

Comment

• ofelles
            Club Member
            • Jun 2018
            • Brentwood CA
            • Yoder YS640 on Comp cart
              Klose 20x42 Charcoal Grill
              LSG Insulated Cabinet
              Jumbo Joe
              VacMaster Pro 380 sealer
              FireBoard and Pit Bull fan
              Thermoworks Signal
              Thermoworks Dot
              Thermopen Mk4

I'm a low and slow guy. I also have a YS640 but have only cooked SRF wagyu Black which below what you have. An 18 pounder I cooked at 200F took 16 hours to get to 203F. The last hour was at 275 unwrapped. When I cook at 225F it takes 12 to 14 hours usually and that is in the 16 pound range. Just be sure you monitor it and it will turn out delicious. Take pictures please and let us know.

Comment

• mountainsmoker
              Banned Former Member
              • Jun 2019
              • Bryson City, NC

Do not panic by all means it is just a big hunk of beef and your .640 can handle it. Take it step by step: Trim the fat cap. down to 1/4 - 1/2 inch, nothing different. You loose about 30% of the weight or more. Your ready to go so use a good rub and get the 640 up to smoke temp. Probably 225 or so. Put your meat on and hold it at smoke for as many hours as you want, then turn it up to 275-300 fat side down to finish it. Wrap it as soon as it comes out of the stall, 170-180. Total time probably 18-24 hours. This is one time you can't use the probe method to tell if it is done, It will pass as soon as you put it on.

Good luck and enjoy your windfall. Oh as a final temp somewhere between 190-195 will give you an excellent cut and taste on that Waygu.A5 Cambro as soon as you take it off. Carry over cooking will raise the temp another 5-10 degrees and relax the meet.
              Last edited by mountainsmoker; October 10, 2019, 07:27 PM.

Comment

• tbob4
                Charter Member
                • Nov 2014
                • Chico, CA
                • BBQ's
                  Vision Grill

Beer

Wood
                  Cherry
                  Peach
                  Apple

I have found that with Prime cuts, my good temp is 195 - anything less is 203-205. I would look closely at the stall. Once it gets beyond that and starts to climb, I would pay close attention to fast it was climbing. If it is rapid, I would pull it at 190, wrap it, and Cambro it. If it is a slow climb, I would go to 195 and do the same. Please post photos of the outcome and let us know what you decided on and how it turns out.

Comment

• Jon Liebers
                  Jon Liebers commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I totally agree with 195 for prime meats , I have had the same experience in that lower grades I take to 203.
              • Donw
                Club Member
                • Jul 2017

Have you watched this video from Crowd Cow? https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_6MbZTPL328

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                  Charter Member
                  • Sep 2016
                  • Kansas Territory
                  • Grills / Smokers

Kingsford 24" grill (Free) 'Billy'
                    Brinkmann Smoke n Grill
                    Oklahoma Joe Highland, gaskets, LavaLock baffle / tuning plate. 'Big Joe'
                    Weber 18" Kettle ($30 CL) 'Lil' Feller'
                    Weber Smokey Joe ($25 CL) 'Lil' Brother'
                    Weber 22.5 Master Touch '93 P Code Blue($85) from fellow WKC member Bmitch 'Elwood'
                    Weber 22.5 Bar-B-Q Kettle '69-'70 "Patent Pending" Red ($80) from fellow WKC member dwnthehatch 'Maureen'
                    Weber 22.5 OTS DD Code Black ($40 CL) 'DeeDee'
                    Weber 22.5 OTS DO Code Black ($15 CL)
                    Weber 22.5 OTS E Code Black ($20 CL
                    Weber 22.5 OTS EE Code Black ($20 CL

Weber "C" Code 18.5" WSM '81 ($50 CL) 8-0!!!
                    Weber "H" Code 18.5" WSM '86 ($75 CL)
                    Weber " " Code 18.5" WSM

Weber 26.75, $199 NFM clearance !!!
                    Weber SJS AH 'Lil' Brother'
                    Weber SJS AT 'Lil' Sister'
                    Weber SJS DE Code (FREE) 'Lil' Helper'
                    Weber SJG M Code 'Lil Traveller'
                    Weber SJS AH Code 'Kermit'
                    (Lime Green)
                    Horizon 20" Classic, w/baffle/tuning plate (FREE)
                    Good One Open Range, (FREE), Monthly Prize from AR giveaway!!!!

Thermometers:
                    Ol' Skool Bi-metal probe pocket thermo, that has checked / served ~ 1,000,000 meals in my possession, easily...
                    Maverick ET-732, (Black)
                    Thermopops, (Red, Yellow, Green)
                    ThermaPen Mk4 (Black), THANKS!!! to jgjeske1
                    Blue ThermaPen Mk4
                    Orange Thermapen Mk4
                    Pink Thermapen Mk4
                    ThermoWorks IR-GUN-S
                    ThermoWorks Smoke
                    ThermoWorks Open Box Smoke
                    4 Pro Series cable extensions
                    Smoke Gateway

Accessories:
                    2 Slow 'N Sears, Slow 'N Sear XL, Grill 'N Griddle
                    BBQ Vortex, 2 Hovergrills, Top Deck
                    Warming shelf
                    MyWeigh KD-8000Kitchen Scale
                    Backyard Grill marinade injector
                    Acoustic Guitars/Electric Guitars/Basses/1928 National Duolian/Harmonicas/Banjo Washboard, Spoons, kazoos, pocket comb with wax paper, egg shakers ;-)
                    Bear Paws
                    Meat Rakes
                    BBQ Dragon/Chimley of Insanity, Dragon Wing Shelves (x2 ea.)

Cookware:
                    Probably a ton of cast iron, mostly very old...still cookin'
                    G'Ma's Piqua skillet, :-)( They went out of business in 1934~)
                    '60's Revere Ware (Mom's), + others found elsewhere
                    60's CorningWare 10-cup percolator (Mom's) Daily driver
                    50's CorningWare 10-cup percolator (G'Ma's), for a backup! ;-)
                    Carpy Wally World stock pots, in approx 2 gal/3gal sizes, blue speckledty-porcelain enameled
                    Tramontina 6.5 qt Dutch Oven

Cutlery, etc.:
                    Shi*-ton of kitchen/chef knives, most sharper than my straight-razors are. (Better steel!) Chicago Cutlery, Old Hickory, various, including some nice German stuff ;-)
                    Dexter 12" slicing knife, 6" Sani-Safe boning knife
                    Smith's Tri-Hone Natural Arkansas Knife Sharpening System
                    Multiple steels, from all over the planet
                    Crock sticks
                    Diamond stones, various
                    Lansky Sharpening System

Tableware
                    Daily driver:Washington Forge Mardi Gras, Navy / Cobalt Blue
                    Dinner: Guests: Washington Forge, Town and Country
                    Fancy / Formal: Family silverware

Hmmmmm, a $1,440 brisky....

I'd probly haveta break out my Billy Baroo...

Comment

• hogdog6
                    hogdog6 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    "Oh Billy, Billy, Billy"...

• klflowers
                    klflowers commented
                    Editing a comment
                    One of my favorites
                • hogdog6
                  Charter Member
                  • Dec 2014
                  • Liberty, Utah

Wow you've received some great advice here not sure I can offer much more. I recently acquired a used YS480 and have done two briskets but I've never had the fortune to cook the quality you've got and I too would be a little (ok a lot) intimidated. I normally cook brisket in my KBQ so some of my suggestions are from those experiences.
                  Here's my $.02 worth. I'd suggest go fat cap up until you've got the bark you want. Flip it over fat cap down for the rest of the cook with water pans under the meat. I too wrap with butcher paper. Wrap at the part of the stall you normally do and finish until the thickest part of the flat probes almost butter tender. Start checking at 190*. Pull and keep it in the butcher paper, wrap it tight with plastic wrap. Rest in pre heated cambro with the fat cap up for at least 4 hours.
                  I too like QVQ brisket and that may be a good well controlled option.
                  Most IMPORTANT we will need an update with pics on how it turned out. Hope your good luck continues. 😋
                  Last edited by hogdog6; October 10, 2019, 10:35 PM.

Comment

• JGo37
                    JGo37 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Is that North American or Irish butter? (as a tip o' the prongs to MP's Holy Grail.)

Yes - put it all together from this post and you prolly CAN'T go wrong...
                • RickyBobby
                  Club Member
                  • Jul 2016
                  • Brownsburg, Indiana

Wow! Feels like Monopoly but better! Crowd Cow error in your favor, enjoy a once in a lifetime cook! I truely cannot wait to see pictures! Best of luck, you got this!

Comment

• Henrik
                    Founding Member - Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jul 2014
                    • Stockholm, Sweden

Cool. Just like Ahumadora I would cook it a little hotter, say 280 deg F. You want it to bark up properly with all that fat and marbling. Also, have a beer or two. The faux cambro is key (as with all briskets). And yes, save that fat, render it down and use it for cooking later.

Comment

• ColonialDawg
                      Club Member
                      • Oct 2017
                      • Coastal VA

I would just grind it and make hamburgers.

And I am kidding.

Comment

• Bob's BBQ
                        Club Member
                        • Jan 2016
                        • Wisconsin

Wow - nice score! I'm a little afraid to give advice on a piece of meat that expensive...….
                        My brisket experience tells me that Henrik 's advice to go a little hotter makes sense. Good luck and look forward to the pictures and details of the cook!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse

Meat-Up in Memphis 2021

SOLD OUT! Secure your spot on our waitlist now. First-come, first-served!
                        Click here for details. (https://amazingribs.com/memphis)
                        See more
                        See less
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Meat-Up in Memphis

Spotlight

These are not ads or paid placements. These Are Some Of Our Favorite Tools And Toys.

These are products we have tested, won our top awards, and are highly recommend. Click here to read how we test, about our medals, and what they mean.

Use our links when you buy things

Many merchants pay us a small referral fee when you click our links and purchase from them. On Amazon it works on everything from grills to diapers, they never tell us what you bought, it has zero impact on the price you pay, but has a major impact on our ability to improve this site! If you like AmazingRibs.com, please save this link and use it every time you go to Amazon

If you have a Weber Kettle, you need the Slow 'N' Sear

slow n sear
                        The Slow 'N' Sear turns your grill into a first class smoker and also creates an extremely hot sear zone you can use to create steakhouse steaks.

Click here for our article on this breakthrough tool

The Good-One Is A Superb Grill And A Superb Smoker All In One

the good one grill
                        The Good-One Open Range is dramatically different from a traditional offset smoker. By placing the heat source behind and under the smokebox instead of off to the side, Open Range produces even temperature from left to right, something almost impossible to achieve with a standard barrel shaped offset.

Click here to read our complete review

Griddle And Deep Fryer In One

Pit Barrel Cooker Smoker
                        The flat top does the burgers and the fryer does the fries. Use the griddle for bacon, eggs, and home fries. Or pancakes, fajitas, grilled cheese, you name it. Why stink up the house deep frying and spatter all over? Do your fried chicken and calamari outside. Blackstone's Rangetop Combo With Deep Fryer does it all!

Click here to read our detailed review and to order

The Pit Barrel Cooker May Be Too Easy

Pit Barrel Cooker Smoker
                        The PBC has a rabid cult following for good reason. It is absolutely positively without a doubt the best bargain on a smoker in the world. Period. This baby will cook circles around the cheap offset sideways barrel smokers because temperature control is so much easier.

Click here to read our detailed review and the raves from people who own them

The Undisputed Champion!

thermapen
                        The Thermoworks Thermapen MK4 is considered by the pros, and our team, to be the single best instant read thermometer. The MK4 includes features that are common on high-end instruments: automatic backlight and rotating display. Don't accept cheap substitutes.

Click here to read our comprehensive Platinum Medal review

Grilla Pellet Smoker proves good things come in small packages

Grilla pellet smoker
                        We always liked Grilla. The small 31.5" x 29.5" footprint makes it ideal for use where BBQ space is limited, as on a condo patio.

Click here for our review on this unique smoker

Delta by Nuke,
                        Stylish and Affordable
                        Gaucho Grill

Weber Genesis Grill
                        Delta by Nuke burns wood or charcoal and comes with an adjustable height grill grate. This Argentinian grill will get your flame on!

Genesis II E-335
                        A Versatile Gasser That Does It All!

Weber Genesis Grill
                        Webers� Genesis line has long been one of the most popular choices for gas grillers. The new Genesis II E-335 offers solid performance, a sear burner for sizzling heat and an excellent warranty.

GrillGrates Take Gas Grills To The Infrared Zone

grill grates
                        GrillGrates(TM) amplify heat, prevent flareups, make flipping foods easier, kill hotspots, flip over to make a fine griddle, and can be easily rmoved from one grill to another. You can even throw wood chips, pellets, or sawdust between the rails and deliver a quick burst of smoke.

Click here for more about what makes these grates so special

Is This Superb Charcoal Grill A Kamado Killer?

PK 360 grill
                        The PK-360, with 360 square inches of cooking space, this rust free, cast aluminum charcoal grill is durable and easy to use. Four-way venting means it's easy to set up for two zone cooking with more control than single vent Kamado grills. It is beautifully designed, completely portable, and much easier to set up for 2-zone cooking than any round kamado.

Click here to read our detailed review of the PK 360

Click here to order directly and get an exclusive AmazingRibs.com deal

Our Favorite Backyard Smoker

kareubequ bbq smoker

The amazing Karubecue is the most innovative smoker in the world. The quality of meat from this machine is astonishing. At its crux is a patented firebox that burns logs above the cooking chamber and sucks heat and extremely clean blue smoke into the thermostat controlled oven. It is our favorite smoker, period.

Click here for our review of this superb smoker

Masterbuilt MPS 340/G ThermoTemp XL Propane Smoker

masterbuilt gas smoker
                        This is the first propane smoker with a thermostat, making this baby foolproof. Set ThermoTemp's dial from 175? to 350?F and the thermostat inside will adjust the burner just like an indoor kitchen oven. All you need to do is add wood to the tray above the burner to start smokin'.

Click here to read our detailed review

Digital Thermometers Are Your Most Valuable Tool And Here's A Great Buy!

maverick PT55 thermometer
                        A good digital thermometer keeps you from serving dry overcooked food or dangerously undercooked food. They are much faster and much more accurate than dial thermometers. YOU NEED ONE!

Track Up To Six Temperatures At Once

Grilla pellet smoker
                        FireBoard Drive 2 is an updated version of a well-received product that sets the standard for performance and functionality in the wireless food thermometer/thermostatic controller class.

Click here for our review of this unique device

The Cool Kettle With The Hinged Hood We Always Wanted

NK-22-Ck Grill
                        Napoleon's NK22CK-C Charcoal Kettle Grill puts a few spins on the familiar kettle design. In fact, the hinged lid with a handle on the front, spins in a rotary motion 180 degrees. It's hard to beat a Weber kettle, but Napoleon holds its own and adds some unique features to make the NK22CK-C a viable alternative.

Click here for more about what makes this grill special

Finally, A Great Portable Pellet Smoker

Green Mountain Davey Crockett Grill
                        Green Mountain's portable Davy Crockett Pellet Smoker is one mean tailgating and picnic machine. But it's also gaining popularity with people who want to add a small, set it and forget it pellet smoker to their backyard arsenal. And with their WiFi capabilities you can control and monitor Davy Crocket from your smart phone or laptop.

Click here to read our detailed review and to order