Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

should i cook my briskets fat cap down like Myron Mixon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

should i cook my briskets fat cap down like Myron Mixon?

saw a video of Myron Mixon demo of brisket prep and cook and he says he always cooks his briskets fat cap down. I have always cooked fat cap up in the BGE. Should I switch? anyone have experience with this?

if it aint broke

Comment

Recycling electrons.
      Hey all, wanted to provide a subjective but objective answer to this frequently asked question. A few weeks ago I began to try smoking brisket fat side up to see if there was any

Comment

• Jon Liebers
        Jon Liebers commented
        Editing a comment
        different cookers provide heat differently. for example offset cookers 90% heat from bottom, while it could be argued kamado's using a deflector has more heat actually hitting meat from above. The idea of the fat cap is (as I understand) to protect the meat from direct heat contact . That's why Mixon always goes fat down but he also uses a cooker that heats from below.

• pkadare
        pkadare commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm still of the absolute opinion that regardless of the cooker style, no one on this planet could tell, in a blind taste test, if a brisket was cooked cap down or up.

• mrteddyprincess
        mrteddyprincess commented
        Editing a comment
        Trim the flat on the end straight across. That way you can stand the brisket up in the cooker and it doesn't matter. Now, as to whether you want the fat cap facing east or west, now that's another thread all together. (J/K And I agree that not many people could ever tell which way the brisket was oriented in a cook.)

I just asked this same question this past weekend. I ended up cooking mine fat cap down and was happy with the result. Since I had planned to spritz during the cook, I figured it would make that easier if nothing else, which it did.

Comment

• Jon Liebers
        Jon Liebers commented
        Editing a comment
        what kind of cooker? Looking for what people do on a Kamado type ceramic cooker in particular.

• Dewesq55
        Dewesq55 commented
        Editing a comment
        Don't have a Kamado, sorry. Mine was a charcoal fired offset.

Originally posted by Jon Liebers View Post
      saw a video of Myron Mixon demo of brisket prep and cook and he says he always cooks his briskets fat cap down. I have always cooked fat cap up in the BGE. Should I switch? anyone have experience with this?
      I think fat cap up or down depends on your cooker. You want the fat cap towards the heat. In my kettle with the SNS, I put fat cap up, as temperature measurements show that the temperature is higher 3-4 inches above the grate than at grate level. In my case, the heat is to the side, and circulating through the kettle. Same thing on my offset, assuming I put the brisket towards the end away from the firebox. I only think heat would be from below on an offset if you have a reverse flow, or are really close to the firebox.

On a Kamado with a heat deflector installed, I almost imagine it might be hotter at grate level, as the heat source is below the meat, and you probably get some radiated heat from the heat deflector (plate setter?). So it might make sense on a kamado, a WSM, or other cooker with the heat source BELOW the meat, to put the fat cap down.
      Last edited by jfmorris; October 10, 2019, 09:30 AM.

Comment

• Jon Liebers
        Jon Liebers commented
        Editing a comment
        i hear you but, there is a lot more circulation of heat up around and down the dome as the heat is drawn up, around the deflector , up the sides where a small amount escapes via the draft opening and the rest really just circles back down on to the meat. guess i'll have to try it out, just thought someone on here might have already tried it on a kamado

As others, I point the fat cap at the heat. In my vertical offset that from below, so far cap goes down.

Comment

I have always cooked them fat cap down in my BGE. Both methods work. I think fat cap down renders more fat.

Comment

• Jon Liebers
          Jon Liebers commented
          Editing a comment
          have you tried fat cap up? That's how I have always done it.

• LA Pork Butt
          LA Pork Butt commented
          Editing a comment
          Jon Liebers I can’t remember ever cooking fat side up. I’ve always cooked it fat side down based in the theory that it protected the meat - even when I cooked on an old barrel water. Smoker.

On my Weber I always do fat cap up. I have never had a problem since the brisket is well offset from the heat and the airflow is constant.

Comment

Cook them like ME, fatcap down. Who cares about Myron?

Comment

• Loren
            Loren commented
            Editing a comment
            Myron who?

I always do fat cap down, but it's really for the narcissist in me; I can admire my handiwork as it becomes delishishish food and send pictures to make my friends jealous

Comment

In my BGE, I always go fat cap down. The heat is coming from directly under the brisket, so it has always made sense to me. But I know some do it the other way and it works out fine.

Comment

I too go fat cap down on my BGE.

Comment

With multiple probes you can check the heat distribution. In the pk I get 10-15F per inch vertically (hotter higher).

Haven’t checked the PBC but I’d imagine the radiant heat from below is more.

Comment

I have vertical smokers now. When I had an offset, I used to always do fat side up. Now, I decide based upon the water pan. If I use a water pan, I do fat side up. If I smoke without a water pan I go fat side down. There is no science to it other than my belief that if steam is coming up, the fat serves as insulation. If no water is below, the fat serves as a protective layer. On my Vision grill I always go fat side up because of the deflector plate I use.

Comment

I use a Kamado Joe. As I stated in the earlier thread, I cook fat cap down. I've tried it both ways and find the bottom gets too dry doing fat cap up. Also as stated before I cook at 300 degrees. I just put a brisket in the faux Cambro about 15 minutes ago. It took 8 1/2 hours, the probe went through like it was butter, and if the taste matches the smell and appearance it's going to be great!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here