Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wagu - Shmagu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wagu - Shmagu

In my opinion, there's nothing better than homegrown grass fed beef from a local butcher shop. Got a nice plate this weekend, brushed on a thin coat of yellow mustard, a generous amount of black pepper based rub, smoked 'em for 6 hours with pecan wood, let 'em rest a bit while grilling some fresh sweet corn, and then....OMG. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0001 (1).JPG
Views:	194
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	750296Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0002 (1).JPG
Views:	250
Size:	128.8 KB
ID:	750297Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0003.JPG
Views:	203
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	750298

PS. Also did some spareribs last week using Meathead's rib rub. Folks, if you haven't tried it, you're missing out.

Looks good. I'm surprised at that amount of interstitial fat on a grass-fed, grass-finished(?) steer. My experience with grass-fed and grass finished beef has been that there is very little interstitial fat.

I'd say you hit the jackpot with this. Congrats on such a nice cook.

Kathryn

P.S. Meathead's Memphis Rub is da bomb, I agree.

Comment

I’ll be the judge of that! After reviewing yer pics, OMG. Yup, good work.🕶

Comment

That's some good lookin' meat.

Comment

Originally posted by celticman View Post
          In my opinion, there's nothing better than homegrown grass fed beef from a local butcher shop. Got a nice plate this weekend, brushed on a thin coat of yellow mustard, a generous amount of black pepper based rub, smoked 'em for 6 hours with pecan wood, let 'em rest a bit while grilling some fresh sweet corn, and then....OMG. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0001 (1).JPG
Views:	194
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	750296Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0002 (1).JPG
Views:	250
Size:	128.8 KB
ID:	750297Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0003.JPG
Views:	203
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	750298

PS. Also did some spareribs last week using Meathead's rib rub. Folks, if you haven't tried it, you're missing out.
          My sentiments exactly. I buy my grass fed, grass finished beef directly from the farmers. I haven't had a bad cut yet.

Comment

I did a side-by-side brisket cook between Costco Prime and a home-raised grass fed brisket. The grass fed ate more steak-like and was halfway to tasting almost like wild game (but not, that's just how I'd describe it by comparison) and of course the Costco Prime was tender buttery delicousness. I'm not a believer in Wagyu brisket, I've cooked 2 maybe 3, for me it's a completely unnecessary waste of cash but they do eat good too!

Comment

Been wanting to do plate ribs after having some from the local Little Miss BBQ joint in Phoenix...your pics make me want to even more!

Comment

I have had pretty good luck with grass fed brisket. Although I still prefer the USDA Prime briskets. I like the Wagyu cuts above all, but, yes, they are expensive and once in a while they are worth it. (To me anyway) . But to each their own.

I made a Prime Packer this weekend and I also made a grass fed point on the BGE and I could tell the difference, and everyone said they preferred the prime brisket, but the GF point was still really tasty.

Great looking cook! Those ribs look fantastic!

Comment

Glad to hear this arrangement is workin out so very well fer ya, brother!

Yer pics certainly speak to th juiciness... I hope yer supply line keeps on bringin ya some beef ya love!

Happy Smokin!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here