Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not my best brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not my best brisket

I am not happy with the whole outcome even thought the meat was enjoyable. I tried adding a rub for the first time and made a poor choice in selection of the rub. I tried my best to pick a good brisket from Costco but was surprised about the amount of fat I trimmed off after my due diligence in picking it.
    Never having used a rub on anything (I have used marinades to make Manti chicken) I thought I had read enough here to know what I was doing. I have seen great pictures of the outcomes but try as I might I did not come even close and putting it on one side and then turning was a waste of time as the bottom stuck to the pan when I transferred it to the grill of my GMG.
    If I am ever going to try a rub again I need to see a video that show, start to finish, of how to apply a rub and get it to stay on til it gets to the grill.
    I am please with all my beef cooks with nothing more than a dry brine.

If you decide to try again, try putting the meat on a cooling rack so that if the rub sticks, it only sticks to the wires. Or try putting a layer of non-stick aluminum foil under the meat.

Comment

Good video by Aaron Franklin, rub application at 6:30 minutes. My only disagreement with Aaron is that I put the brisket on cold - attracts more smoke.

Last edited by 58limited; October 1, 2019, 08:28 AM.

Comment

Hmm. I think the trick for me is that I put the rub on the meat while it is moist. If the meat isn't wet, nothing will stick. This is why you see people use mustard as a binder. I follow Meathead 's advice and just use a little water these days if the meat is dry. It is normal to lose some to the pan, but if you lost it all, you must not be using enough, and the meat must be too dry.

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          I always use Lea & Perrins. Really makes no difference, like mustard, but it's a habit I got into a long time ago and have stuck with it. Bottom line you need some sort of binder.

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          I dip my fingertips in a glass of water and sprinkle and rub a little water onto the meat before adding the rub.

I'm trying to understand why you are blaming a poor brisket cook on the rub? Yes rub is important to bark formation and you do get the flavor of that upper layer in every bite, but it sounds like you had other issues. Was it dry, or was it too fatty? Do you think you overcooked it? Something else seems to be awry here.

Comment

The single most important key to success is to get USDA Choice or above. There are a lot of other tips on this page https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...et-texas-style

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Good point MH but he did say he got the brisket at Costco and about all they sell in my store is USDA Prime so I'm not thinking that was the issue.

The taste was ok, Whatever I cook I put it on the grill cold for the max smoke. I wasn't happy with the loss to fat at trimming after I was so careful in my selection of this Prime cut. I normally get my meat at a great shop. I did put foil just over the point 3/4 of the way through to try to keep it from being so dry, which is something I had never tried. I'm not sure how much that helped. I believe I will just start separating the point from now on. I was just not as happy with the outcome as I have been in the past and I THINK I may just stick to my fantastic steaks.

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            It varies, luck o' the draw with the fattiness of them. My last one had the least amount of fat trimmed- 2.6 lbs. I often have ~5lbs of fat trimmed, and I'm generous with the fat cap I leave on, usually 1/2" instead of 1/4". Don't fret, your next one will be better, and that's the fun of keeping on- you get to eat your experiments until you find your method!

You wrapped the point???...that’s the fatty part of a brisket.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here