Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thoughts for a monster sirloin steak?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thoughts for a monster sirloin steak?

Picked up this massive (5.11 lb) sirloin steak from my local meat dude. Came off a 1370 lb pet steer. Meat dude said you could scratch his leg and he'd lift it so you could get in there deeper. He walked into the trailer without any coaxing. Long story short, this was a big happy animal. Beautiful marbling. Usually we thin slice sirloins and turn them into Philly cheesesteaks, but I feel like this piece is destined for something greater. Any thoughts or suggestions?
    Attached Files

You could send that hunk of meat and a couple of them Delirium beers to me. I promise to tell the truth and nothing but the whole truth.

Comment

• EasyMoney
      EasyMoney commented
      Editing a comment
      Hahaha. It's actually Perpetual IPA in a Delirium glass. The glass has a little elephant etched above the stem that creates nucleation points for the carbonation. In other words a column of bubbles right in the center of the glass. I might need help eating the big ol' piece of beef. Cruise on up to Washington County, MD. =)

Is there a fat cap on the other side? That kinda looks like a Picanha.

Comment

• EasyMoney
      EasyMoney commented
      Editing a comment
      I'd like to treat it like a Picanha, which if I'm lucky enough to find, I cook on the rotisserie. I think this guy is too big though.

Daaaaaaaang!

Comment

Okay, decay. That monster looks to be in the 3" range. To me it is reverse sear time. Take it till about 110+115 then a screaming hot fire to sear it to 130. Go no further than med-rare or under 125. You will have enough meat to feed 5-8 people. I see a little trimming you can do, but not much. Do a dry brine 1/2 oz. per pound or a little of 2.5 oz. for that hunk of meat and do it for 2-3 days. Having dry brined you only need pepper and maybe a rub with garlic cloves. Once you take it off the fire let it rest to equalize the temperature for about 10-15 minutes and slice and serve.

You can make Phillies from the left overs.
      Last edited by mountainsmoker; September 21, 2019, 07:59 PM.

Comment

• EasyMoney
        EasyMoney commented
        Editing a comment
        I had the same thoughts. It's just the wife and I so there will definitely be some leftovers, and keeping it simple with just salt and pepper would leave the door open for Phillies.

All I know is meat dudes rule ...

Comment

• EasyMoney
        EasyMoney commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep. He's a good guy to know. We bought enough from him at the farmers market that he gave me his cell number. Turns out he's only about 10 minutes away, which is amazing cause we're in the middle of the woods. We live closer to the meat dude than the grocery store. =)

I'm with mountainsmoker on this one. I love a big fat sirloin, and reverse sear is THE way to go. Don't slice it thin, cook it and enjoy it like you would a big Porterhouse.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here