Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket Burnin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket Burnin

I've been smoking brisket for decades but have had difficulties with my last two cooks. The last two I've done have been burnt on the bottom. By burnt, I mean a tough crust on the bottom that is hard to cut through. My pulling temp is always 203. I'm cooking on a Viking gravity feed smoker (basically a Stumps). Getting ready for a Labor Day 16 pounder and don't want a repeat. Any thoughts? I've never separated a brisket in two to smoke, but thinking maybe...

Are you cooking the brisket with the fat cap towards the heat source? That should protect the meat. It seems to me like something must have changed if this has only happened to your last two briskets.

Comment

I normally don't. I'm thinking of doing turning it over half-way through, finishing with the fat cap down.

Comment

Place a water tray underneath to act as a heat sink or some bricks

Comment

Tanks. I usually use a pan of water, but a tray underneath is worth a shot. That should diffuse any intense heat that could be causing this.

Comment

Turn the fat cap down as an insulator. Or crutch with butcher paper. Has your thermometer gotten out of calibration maybe? Cook to probe tender, not just temp. If tender at 190, pull her. We're all the other cooks on the same pit?

Comment

My thermometer is fine. I use a Flame Boss and then double-check with a Thermopen. You're right about pulling at 190 if tender. Yes, other cooks were on the same pit, and the only thing different with the second cook was that I did wrap with paper. Makes me think I simply cooked them both too long. It's done when it's done.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here